A house session: The Hamster's Wake

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

A house session: The Hamster's Wake

Post by Nanohedron »

It was pretty good, lots of fire and energy. Drinkies: French wine, English ale, Dutch and American beer, Irish porter, lemonade and tea of some species. Munchies: Spanish cheese, Mexican salsa & chips, Scottish shortbread (homemade), crudités (Frooonch, of course), and good old American brownies (we invented them, you know :P ) We were a most international bunch, aside from the music itself. There were ten of us, with three flutes, two whistles, three fiddles, a button accordion, a concertina, a mandolin, two guitars, and a cittern. Oh, yes, and two punters.

Our lovely hostess was continually (and needlessly) fretting over her sweet and bumptious Irish Setter, worried that havoc would ensue (as if we weren't taking care of that already), and in the course of his inevitable escape outdoors she voiced a hope that he'd run away for good as he was prone to long stretches of adventuring. Naturally, when I stepped outside for a smoke he was right there and wanted to come in. :lol: She fretted some more, and relating the apocryphal tales of bodhrán heads and greyhounds to her, I suggested that if Dylan (for that was the dog's name) was such a handful, she could always make a drum of him. Hilarity ensued, and I gave myself points. The cats were smart and stayed on the cellar stairs where it was safe, staring at the madness of humans. Who knows what the cockatiel thought.

Our hostess also brought us the sad news that one of the household's menagerie -a hamster- had gone to his Maker that day, and the session was promptly designated a hamster's wake. We all agreed that there was a tune's name in that. I played a bittersweet air for the posthumously dubbed "Binkie" (sorry, Dale), and then the insanity immediately switched back to high gear with some very smoking reels, thanks to the very awesome mandolin player who had wound up driving the session, and rightly. And so the evening went. It was mighty.

I bowed out around midnight as is my habit, and got my usual razzing for it.

Folks, ITMers know how to par-tay.

N
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

Well, Binkie may have gone to the big wheel in the sky,but it sounds like he had a hell of a send off!
I just had a thought,if it had been Wintertime and he'd hibernated,then 'revived'(as has been known with Hamsters),he could have been a rodent 'Tim Finnegan'! :boggle:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
carrie

Re: A house session: The Hamster's Wake

Post by carrie »

Nanohedron wrote: Our hostess also brought us the sad news that one of the household's menagerie -a hamster- had gone to his Maker that day, and the session was promptly designated a hamster's wake. We all agreed that there was a tune's name in that.
And the tune itself? Where is that? Please deliver. :)

A mighty description of a mighty time!

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, sure, and 'twould have been the Music for putting the breath back into him. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

(Previous post in answer to Kevin)

Carol, I don't know the name of it. It resurfaced recently from my memory, a tune played on a flat set in, I believe, B, and haunting on the pipes. I can't say I did it such justice. Basically in Em, then the turns end in Gmaj. Great tune, and it gave me the opportunity to be a ham. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Re: A house session: The Hamster's Wake

Post by Nanohedron »

cskinner wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: Our hostess also brought us the sad news that one of the household's menagerie -a hamster- had gone to his Maker that day, and the session was promptly designated a hamster's wake. We all agreed that there was a tune's name in that.
And the tune itself? Where is that? Please deliver. :)

A mighty description of a mighty time!

Carol
...You know, I really should learn to read sometime. :roll:

Why, The Hamster's Wake, of course! Only nobody's composed it yet. :P
carrie

Post by carrie »

Nanohedron wrote: Great tune, and it gave me the opportunity to be a ham. :D
This would be the bittersweet air you played? But I was referring to the tune you will now please write, and at your earliest convenience, called the Hamster's Wake (you wakester ham!).

Carol
carrie

Post by carrie »

*ahem* We should take numbers here, Nano. :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, I consider myself called out. We'll see what I can come up with.

Junior Crehan, look out. :wink:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Nanohedron wrote:Ah, sure, and 'twould have been the Music for putting the breath back into him. :wink:
I'm sure that a 'drop of the Crator' would be mighty medicinal! :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

kevin m. wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Ah, sure, and 'twould have been the Music for putting the breath back into him. :wink:
I'm sure that a 'drop of the Crator' would be mighty medicinal! :wink:
By George, you might be on to something here, Kevin! It always works for me...temporarily, of course; the morning after, I still wind up feeling dead. :lol:
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Isn't there a set dance called 'The Drunken Hamster' or something like that?... :-?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

You'd think so.