Key of G tunes with no F# in them?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
LI Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Key of G tunes with no F# in them?

Post by LI Whistler »

Can anyone supply the above tunes, Key of G tunes with no F# in them?
One example is the "Yellow Wattle Jig"
stringbed
Tell us something.: Playing woodwind instruments for over 70 years and deeply interested in their history, manufacture, technology, and performance practices.

Re: Key of G tunes with no F# in them?

Post by stringbed »

Removing the # changes G major to the “G mixolydian” mode. A web search on “Irish mixolydian” will point you in the right direction.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Key of G tunes with no F# in them?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The way I read it, the OP is asking not about removing the # but rather looking for gapped scale tunes where some notes don't occur at all. I could be wrong though, the example of the 'Yellow wattle', a Dmix tune, without f but with flattened seventh, did throw me a bit.

The version of 'McMahon's/the Banshee' I play has no f, sharp or otherwise, although some versions do use that note. Plenty of other tunes that may have started out 'gapped', have 'filled the gap' as well. 'Out on the ocean' is arguably a tune with a gapped scale that in most versions today has acquired fs.
'Come west along the road' is another that started out in a gapped scale and has had some fs creeping in, very satisfying with though.. The 'Foxhunter's reel' is mostly without but the fourth part upsets that notion.
The G version of 'Tear the callico' (see Séamus Ennis' 'A fair wind', although he did play it in A as well sometimes) is without f. 'Christmas Eve' is another one.

The 'Ship in full sail' is without f. As are jigs like 'The flowers of the Burren' (Clogher rose), Vincent Broderick's 'The haunted house'. 'An seanduine dóite', 'The battering ram' etc

And there's the jigs that have acquired the ending BGF G.. rather than BGG G.. (a whole other discussion) like 'Willie Coleman's' that could be argued as having a gapped scale.
My brain hurts