Is this an old tune or a new tune?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Is this an old tune or a new tune?

Post by PB+J »

I was listening to David Munnelly--quite the box virtuoso. He has an album coming out with flute player Les Muller. There's a band camp link to the not yet release/was supposed to be released album. I pre-ordered it as I was quite taken with the music

https://davidmunnelly.bandcamp.com/album/dtached

At any rate the first song there is listed as "kildevil-Taylor Hill." At 5:17 it goes into a dance tune which I'm assuming is named "Taylor Hill." But if you google "Taylor Hill" you get an underwear model young enough to be my daughter and a rather undistinguished singer/rapper. Also a "Taylor's HIll" in Galway. I like the song although I'll have to transpose it

Is it an old tune and the name is a puckish reference to the comely Miss Hill? or a new tune?
Mr.Gumby

Re: Is this an old tune or a new tune?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think they play stuff they made up themselves, Ies Muller's website suggests they play music for which 'traditional Irish music remains the basis but very much their own [..] full of influences of jazz, Breton and classical music'.

I like the song although I'll have to transpose it
You can play it straight off on a Bflat whistle. The tune made me think of Padraig O'Keeffe's quip 'maybe you should take it outside, you'll have more room to turn it' :P
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

Says on the website : "Its an abstract representation of their musical ideas..". So most likely, original compositions.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I don't know anything about about Taylor Hill, but Kildevil is a composition of Newfoundland flute/whistle player Gerry Strong (ghstrong here).
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I... like their music. I know it's not "trad! Not everything has to be trad. Munnelly seems to have a really cool vision, but again yes I know it's not ITM. Both tunes are great--there's a Kildevil done by Paddy Keenan, quite lovely, similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eoAsXRN8
Last edited by PB+J on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Keenan lived in Newfoundland for a while and learned the tune from Gerry. I believe Gerry even plays on Keenan's album recording of it.

Edited to add: If we take the liner notes literally, on Keenan's recording he's playing the low whistle and Gerry is playing the high whistle.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

colomon wrote:Keenan lived in Newfoundland for a while and learned the tune from Gerry. I believe Gerry even plays on Keenan's album recording of it.

Edited to add: If we take the liner notes literally, on Keenan's recording he's playing the low whistle and Gerry is playing the high whistle.

Thank you!