It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:21 pm 

I was listening to David Munnelly--quite the box virtuoso. He has an album coming out with flute player Les Muller. There's a band camp link to the not yet release/was supposed to be released album. I pre-ordered it as I was quite taken with the music

https://davidmunnelly.bandcamp.com/album/dtached

At any rate the first song there is listed as "kildevil-Taylor Hill." At 5:17 it goes into a dance tune which I'm assuming is named "Taylor Hill." But if you google "Taylor Hill" you get an underwear model young enough to be my daughter and a rather undistinguished singer/rapper. Also a "Taylor's HIll" in Galway. I like the song although I'll have to transpose it

Is it an old tune and the name is a puckish reference to the comely Miss Hill? or a new tune?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:16 am 

I think they play stuff they made up themselves, Ies Muller's website suggests they play music for which 'traditional Irish music remains the basis but very much their own [..] full of influences of jazz, Breton and classical music'.

Quote:
I like the song although I'll have to transpose it

You can play it straight off on a Bflat whistle. The tune made me think of Padraig O'Keeffe's quip 'maybe you should take it outside, you'll have more room to turn it' :P

Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:33 am 

Says on the website : "Its an abstract representation of their musical ideas..". So most likely, original compositions.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:33 am 

I don't know anything about about Taylor Hill, but Kildevil is a composition of Newfoundland flute/whistle player Gerry Strong (ghstrong here).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am 

I... like their music. I know it's not "trad! Not everything has to be trad. Munnelly seems to have a really cool vision, but again yes I know it's not ITM. Both tunes are great--there's a Kildevil done by Paddy Keenan, quite lovely, similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5eoAsXRN8

Last edited by PB+J on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:56 am 

Keenan lived in Newfoundland for a while and learned the tune from Gerry. I believe Gerry even plays on Keenan's album recording of it.

Edited to add: If we take the liner notes literally, on Keenan's recording he's playing the low whistle and Gerry is playing the high whistle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:22 pm 

colomon wrote:
Keenan lived in Newfoundland for a while and learned the tune from Gerry. I believe Gerry even plays on Keenan's album recording of it.

Edited to add: If we take the liner notes literally, on Keenan's recording he's playing the low whistle and Gerry is playing the high whistle.

Thank you!