Computer generated Irish music

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Computer generated Irish music

Post by Nanohedron »

PB+J wrote:You could regale your audience with stories about the operating system, and how balky and eccentric the server was, and how the software would never do what you wanted. Throw in some stories about the copier and the printer, and everyone could relate! :pint:
It's a one-trick pony, but sure. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Re: Computer generated Irish music

Post by PB+J »

I get my irish music from notes and youtube videos and CDs. It'd be nice to go hang out with musicians in Ireland and learn tunes directly but I'm old and have responsibilities and it's just not gonna happen. Which is fine--I'm an American duffer and the idea of being authentically something else seems like too steep a climb. I've just been reading lots of back and forth between Chief O'Neill and various people about the legitimacy/authenticity of this or that tune. Such and such a tune "lacks the true irish character" according to X and has the true Irish character according to Y, etc etc.

The computer seems to have more or less "cracked the code" of what ITM is based on, but it's not capable of reproducing great playing. Maybe someday, maybe not. But it's got the dots down. Maybe it will never produce a really memorable tune, or maybe it will produce part of a memorable tune that people then adapt. But it's really fascinating that it got as close as it did, and I would love to understand the rules on which it's based