New Irtrad band - would appreciate comments and criticism!

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Thefinetunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am going to post on the behalf of a new ITM band, called the Finetunes, I was going to post some of our music videos we just made to get some feedback or criticism

New Irtrad band - would appreciate comments and criticism!

Post by Thefinetunes »

Hi everyone, we are a starting new Irtrad band, we really want to improve, so we would really appreciate any comments, suggestions and criticism! thank you so much in advance (:

We are The Finetunes

Here's Ormond Sound Reel set from a charity concert we did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIpv4jLyzo0
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: New Irtrad band - would appreciate comments and criticis

Post by benhall.1 »

Welcome. Two things straight off: ditch the sheet music; and ditch the set bowing patterns. Go to Ireland and really listen to good trad players, and watch them closely to see how they're producing the sounds they do.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

benhall.1 wrote:ditch the sheet music; and ditch the set bowing patterns. Go to Ireland and really listen to good trad players, and watch them closely to see how they're producing the sounds they do.
I agree. Another way to see some good players might be to check out some of the local Irish festivals for some of the bigger names. Might be a good place to start if coming over to Ireland isn't in the foreseeable future. And it would certainly cost less :) .
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

benhall.1 wrote:Welcome. Two things straight off: ditch the sheet music; and ditch the set bowing patterns. Go to Ireland and really listen to good trad players, and watch them closely to see how they're producing the sounds they do.
Did you have a particular reason for wanting to make sure that our first-time poster wouldn't come back? Or did you just get out of the wrong side of bed on 30 January? :)

If you're still reading this, Mr/Ms Finetunes, well done, and keep it up. I quite enjoyed your performance, which I have only just seen. My main criticism is that the guitar and bodhran were too loud (much too loud), and I couldn't hear the piano at all. (That might not have been within your control in the concert setting of course.) For that number of accompanists, you might want another melody player or two - or the guitarist and drummer should learn to play more sympathetically.

Yes it would look better without the music stand, and not relying on music will help you to a) respond to each other's playing and b) enable your fiddler to explore not playing everything the same way every time. Use every opportunity you can to increase your understanding of Irish music - and keep at it.
BigBpiper
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Post by BigBpiper »

StevieJ wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Welcome. Two things straight off: ditch the sheet music; and ditch the set bowing patterns. Go to Ireland and really listen to good trad players, and watch them closely to see how they're producing the sounds they do.
Did you have a particular reason for wanting to make sure that our first-time poster wouldn't come back? Or did you just get out of the wrong side of bed on 30 January? :) Yes it would look better without the music stand, and not relying on music will help you to a) respond to each other's playing and b) enable your fiddler to explore not playing everything the same way every time. Use every opportunity you can to increase your understanding of Irish music - and keep at it.
I was wondering the same thing for a bit. And I suppose after rereading my former comment that it could have been taken as a little snarky, and I apologoze for that. But I would definitely agree with the latter part of your comment. I would also suggest listening to to each other to try to dicover that "nyah", as one of my whistle teachers would call it, meaning that internal rythm and pulse that is unique to your group. But as StevieJ said, keep at it!
Slán go fóill!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

StevieJ wrote:
Did you have a particular reason for wanting to make sure that our first-time poster wouldn't come back? Or did you just get out of the wrong side of bed on 30 January? :)
Neither. A straight question was asked, and I gave a straight, sincere answer. This must be a cultural thing, because in my world, my type of answer shows respect. Not giving a straight answer is of no use whatsoever, and even shows disrespect.

If you have a different opinion, then that's fine. Just give yours. And I'll stick to mine.