Chiff and Fipple Forums
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

Instrument fashion in Irish music
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107924
Page 2 of 2

Author:  busterbill [ Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instrument fashion in Irish music

[quote="PB+J"] traditions. But then what abut those well known morrison flute and bodhran recordings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-blZR7M-DI


I am so terribly bad with names. I know the second tune, but the name won't come to me until two o'clock in the morning. Does anyone have the names for the tunes in this set handy? Thanks in advance.

Author:  PB+J [ Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instrument fashion in Irish music

busterbill wrote:
PB+J wrote:
traditions. But then what abut those well known morrison flute and bodhran recordings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-blZR7M-DI


I am so terribly bad with names. I know the second tune, but the name won't come to me until two o'clock in the morning. Does anyone have the names for the tunes in this set handy? Thanks in advance.



According to the listing the tunes are Dunmore Lasses, the Galway Rambler and the Laurel Tree.

Author:  benhall.1 [ Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Instrument fashion in Irish music

PB+J wrote:
According to the listing the tunes are Dunmore Lasses, the Galway Rambler and the Laurel Tree.

The first two tunes are as everyone knows them. However, The Laurel Tree, whilst recognisably the tune of that name, is very different from the version with which I'm familiar. It's close to sounding like a different tune to me.

Author:  bigsciota [ Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Instrument fashion in Irish music

On a separate (but related) note, do we know what kind of flute that Morrison recording was made on? Seem like it's a step above "normal" pitch, but I don't know if it's a flat F flute, a sharp Eb, something approaching E, or if the speed of the recording is slightly off and affecting the pitch.

Author:  busterbill [ Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Instrument fashion in Irish music

PB+J wrote:
busterbill wrote:
PB+J wrote:
traditions. But then what abut those well known morrison flute and bodhran recordings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-blZR7M-DI


I am so terribly bad with names. I know the second tune, but the name won't come to me until two o'clock in the morning. Does anyone have the names for the tunes in this set handy? Thanks in advance.



According to the listing the tunes are Dunmore Lasses, the Galway Rambler and the Laurel Tree.



Thanks. I've been playing the Galway Rambler version from Kevin Henry's CD which is pretty close to this, and the Dunmore Lasses sounded sort of like the Dunmore Lasses, but my version is slightly different, probably heavily influenced by the Chieftains. Weirdly enough, when I was learning Dunmore Lasses I ran into a YouTube Video of a Indian man playing it on Sitar. And his image often jumps into my head while playing it. But I am hijacking this thread. LOL. I don't think I ever learned the Laurel Tree. That's something to look forward to. I am currently on a hop jig cycle, though, which is great fun!

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/