Help Id these tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
endaman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, I am form county galway, I have played in a few different bands over the years. I like the old style flute playing and look forward to improving my stype and technique.

Help Id these tunes

Post by endaman »

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the names of these two tunes played by Patsy Hanley

https://www.facebook.com/martin.donohoe ... 403332502/

Thanks.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Help Id these tunes

Post by benhall.1 »

The second one is Spindle Shanks (or one or two other names).
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

... and the first one is O'Reilly's (or Murphy's) Greyhound.
endaman
Tell us something.: I play flute, I am form county galway, I have played in a few different bands over the years. I like the old style flute playing and look forward to improving my stype and technique.

Post by endaman »

Super, thanks all.
endaman

Post by endaman »

I am not sure Spindle shanks is the first one

I don't think it is this tune: https://thesession.org/tunes/2655
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am not sure Spindle shanks is the first one

No, it isn't. The second one is. But it is this Spindle Shanks: https://thesession.org/tunes/66

The first one is what Ben said it is, the Hound.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

That's a real treat to see that clip. Agree with the identifications above - "O'Reilly's Grehound", with the second as "Mulqueen's", but being played in the more challenging key of "G", [ high "c-nat" and 3rd octave "d" required in the second part ], instead of the more common "D".
"Mulqueen's" was recorded under that title by the "Castle Ceili Band", [ early 70s ? ] and I think "Cran" may be responsible for the title "Spindleshanks" from their first CD. "Spindleshanks" - as recorded by Charlie Lennon and "The Chieftains" - is an entirely different reel.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Fildafluter
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Post by Fildafluter »

kenny wrote:That's a real treat to see that clip. Agree with the identifications above - "O'Reilly's Grehound", with the second as "Mulqueen's", but being played in the more challenging key of "G", [ high "c-nat" and 3rd octave "d" required in the second part ], instead of the more common "D".
"Mulqueen's" was recorded under that title by the "Castle Ceili Band", [ early 70s ? ] and I think "Cran" may be responsible for the title "Spindleshanks" from their first CD. "Spindleshanks" - as recorded by Charlie Lennon and "The Chieftains" - is an entirely different reel.
Not unusual to see tunes get different names in different localities, and/or times.

When i was a wee lad the first one was called "Maude Millar's", later I heard it from a Co. Sligo man who called it, " I Wish I Never Seen Your Face". The first title can be found here:

http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=trill ... fiall/0002

Played here by Kieran Collins (RIP).

https://www.facebook.com/noddy.mcnod/vi ... 452495927/

I won't put up the link to the Sligo version as it is much the same tune, nor bother with the other one, because like the first it is likely the same story.

Accuracy of the ABC settings tend not to be instrument correct, IOW the breathing ( Flute/TW), and bowing (Fiddle) will create slurs, stops and rests in unexpected locations.

I'll get me hat.
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
endaman

Post by endaman »

Thanks again.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"O'Reilly's Greyhound" - as played in the clip by Patsy Hanly - and "Maud Miller" - the abc notation provided [ can't see the Facebook clip ] - are two different tunes.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"