The history of Irish dance

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
The Danish Piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

The history of Irish dance

Post by The Danish Piper »

Hello everyone
Some time ago, I was playing at a historical event and afterwards I wantet to see, if I could get a understanding about the origin of Irish Jigs.

Doing this, I came across this timeline:
https://celticsteps.ie/our-story/the-hi ... sic-dance/

It seems quite valid, I think.

Maby some of you will find it interesting as well.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
Mr.Gumby

Re: The history of Irish dance

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.
My brain hurts

sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

As they say on Wikipedia, [citation needed].

I know practically nothing about Irish dance other than Riverdance and the old jokes about the lost manual 'Volume 2: the upper body movements'.

But as soon as anyone starts asserting that anything traditional dance related links back to sun worshipping, the [citation needed] klaxon in my head goes off good and loud!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I shut down at the ancient celitc dance (fwiw, I am at the Willie week dance recital at the minute) but this one really got me:
In 1970, the birth of the Gaelic Athletic Association, a sub division of Comhaltas organised competitions where teams of dancers from around the country gathered together to share their own style of set dancing to all. This too inspired other communities to foster a pride in their own unique take on Irish dancing and look for and revive their own style of sets.
I am not even sure what they are trying to say there but if they think the GAA was formed in 1970 as a sub division of Comhaltas, they cannot even get simple, verifiable facts right.
My brain hurts

The Danish Piper
Tell us something.: I am a original a piper and play the Highland Pipes and Scottish smallpipes and have done so for 17 years
About 1,5 years ago i took up the Low Whistle and really enjoy that as well.

Post by The Danish Piper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:45 pm
I am not even sure what they are trying to say there but if they think the GAA was formed in 1970 as a sub division of Comhaltas, they cannot even get simple, verifiable facts right.
Good points from both of you.
I actually find I a bit worrying, that an otherwise very professional looking page, seem to be quite faulty, when it comes to facts.

Well, as you said Mr. Gumby:
Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs
It is important to be critical to references and to cross-read different sources.
Playing music since 2006
Whistle and different sets of bagpipes.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:30 am
Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs.
Indeed ...

"The Celts were sun worshippers who practiced a pagan dance within a circular formation of stones which has some commonality to the circular formation of Irish set dancing"

Sorry, but I had to laugh out loud at this silly invention and reach.
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

The webpage doesn't even give the title of the book that is referenced correctly. It is <i>Toss the Feathers: Irish Set Dancing</i> by Pat Murphy. And the transcriptions from the book are inaccurate to the point of incomprehensibility.

The book is basically a collection of set dances, but it has a brief historical introduction, which has been criticized by some reviewers. Basically the question is whether all set dances were imported into Ireland from elsewhere, or is there a native tradition that goes back to the first recorded mentions in Elizabethan times.

The topic of step-dancing, which is what many people think of when they think of Irish dancing, isn't covered at all.

I have to admit that the image of woad-covered ancient Celts dancing The Siege of Ennis in a stone circle has some appeal, but I think it lacks supporting evidence.