Timmy 'the Brit' - RIP

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Timmy 'the Brit' - RIP

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Set dancer, teacher of dancing, accordion player and general mad character Timmy 'the Brit' McCarthy has left us.

Timmy was a dance teacher at the Willie Clancy Summer School for years, the appearance of his pupils at the dance recitals at the school was always most energetic and fun to watch. This year he said at the sidelines, not well. (see pic below, his reaction to receiving a shout out and best wishes from MC Mick Tubridy).

Irish Times obituary
My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Timmy 'the Brit' - RIP

Post by Seanie »

Hi Peter

A long time ago I was in Ballyvourney for a week on a course learning Irish. Part of the course was going over to Timmy's house where he taught us a set. He had a purpose built set dance studio built in a barn. Then up to the 'Top of Coom' pub for to dance the set out.

Music that night was provided by Connie O'Connell, Peadar O'Riada and Hammy Hamilton. I ordered a four key flute off Hammy that evening and I got it six weeks later.

There was a real sense of adventure and drive surrounding Timmy et al that week. They were all happy to be playing and dancing and having the craic.

A nice man all told.

Cheers

John
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There was a real sense of adventure and drive surrounding Timmy
He did seem to ooze energy and fun, John. There's not enough of that around.
My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Hi Peter

Well put. The people of Coolea went out of their way to make everyone on the course feel welcome.

We were shown the famous Seamus Murphy sculptures, brought to peoples homes and generally treated very well.

In the Top of Coom the singers from Cor Cul Aodh sang mightily into the small hours.

All this for a bunch of Dublin Civil Servants learning Irish. Over 30 years ago now but still sticks in my memory.

And Timmy was part of the set-up.

Cheers

John