Is it ok, to start a set with popular tunes in Ireland?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Is it ok, to start a set with popular tunes in Ireland?

Post by ertwert »

Hello,
I will be on vacation in Dublin and Galway in a couple of weeks. It will be my first time, staying in Ireland and hopefully I will be able to join some sessions. I have a couple of tunes under my belt. So far, I have counted around 250+ tunes, that I can play, although I wouldn't say, that I feel comfortable starting each of this tunes on my own, especially in front of other musicians!
If people invite me to do so, I would like to start a set here and there. From what I have read on thesession.org I am not sure, how people will react if I play some really popular tunes. For example, tunes from the Volume 1 of comhaltas. I also know some tunes, that seem to be a bit more obscure (at least I think so, because they are not known by most or any player of the sessions I regularly visit).
Maybe I think a bit too much about that, but many of my favourite sets are made (at least partially) from tunes that you would likely find in Volume 1 or 2 of these Comhaltas collections. So I don't know if people there are really bored and annoyed if I ruin their fun with (for them) overplayed tunes. On the other hand, it might be a bit offensive to be that guy, that desperately wants to have his big solo by starting a set that other people might not be able to join in (but then again, the "obscure" tunes I know, might be well known by most Irish players, I really have no idea how vast the repertoire of Irish musicians is...).

It would be nice, to hear your thoughts and experiences on this subject!
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Is it ok, to start a set with popular tunes in Ireland?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think there's a problem with playing wellknown tunes well. Some tunes have become so associated with beginners that a lot of people have been dragged through them played not so well. And that's probably more the problem than anything else.

There was a pub in town here that had a notice up in the window at some point that said anyone starting the 'Kerry polka' (the 'dum dum' polka or another one, it wasn't specified) would be evicted. But don't take stuff like that too serious. It's all about getting a feel for a situation you find yourself in and recognising what's appropriate in that situation and what isn't. Don't overthink it and play it by ear, as it were. Enjoy what you find, as you find it.
My brain hurts

dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I joined in some sessions in Ireland in smaller villages when I was there about 10 years ago. The hosts seemed to enjoy having a new face, and they didn't seem too concerned with what tunes I played. I was younger at the time and didn't have a ton of tunes, and one host suggested names of common session tunes I might know. So while there might be a handful of tunes that could get a frown, like the Kesh here in the USA, I wouldn't worry about it. Just get a feel for the room like Mr.Gumby mentioned, ask politely to join, and watch the nature of the session.
Life is good.
Tor

Post by Tor »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There was a pub in town here that had a notice up in the window at some point that said anyone starting the 'Kerry polka' (the 'dum dum' polka or another one, it wasn't specified) would be evicted. But don't take stuff like that too serious. [..]
I remember a guitar shop in London some years ago.. in the closed-off room where I tried various slightly expensive guitars they had a sign that said something similar, although the tune they warned about was Stairway to Heaven. (And I may have seen a similar warning about Stairway to Heaven over in a shop in the US too, but I can't really remember.)