stylistic difference between old and modern tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

stylistic difference between old and modern tunes

Post by PB+J »

Plugging away, learning a tune a week or so. I set out to learn "the Kesh" and came across Shannon Heaton teaching "The Spring Well," which as she points out is closely related to "the Kesh."

And so I consult my O'Neills and there it is. Charming!

The thing that is nagging at me is the difference between it and versions of the Kesh that I've listened to. I like "the Spring Wells" better, and it seems easier to play to me, maybe: it speaks to a different era? I'm not sure why. The descent to an F# in the first line? The C Nat in the B section? (I find it hard to play the C nat and keep wanting to make it sharp) The less aggressive second register?

Is there a general trend or fad in the evolution of tunes?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: stylistic difference between old and modern tunes

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:Plugging away, learning a tune a week or so. I set out to learn "the Kesh" and came across Shannon Heaton teaching "The Spring Well," which as she points out is closely related to "the Kesh."

The thing that is nagging at me is the difference between it and versions of the Kesh that I've listened to. I like "the Spring Wells" better, and it seems easier to play to me, maybe: it speaks to a different era? I'm not sure why. The descent to an F# in the first line? The C Nat in the B section? (I find it hard to play the C nat and keep wanting to make it sharp) The less aggressive second register?

Where is "The Spring Well" in O'Neill's? Can you point me to which O'Neill's collection and which page or number it is? I'm having difficulty finding it. I only know of the Finbarr Dwyer tune, a reel, of that name.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

benhall.1 wrote: Where is "The Spring Well" in O'Neill's? Can you point me to which O'Neill's collection and which page or number it is?
I don't think you'll find it in Chief O'Neil's works. There is, however, one in Krassen's collection (p.66). Not sure I'd call it a close version of the Kesh although I can see why someone would think that.

I can't speak to the age of both tunes although some would probably argue the Kesh's gapped scale (no C) could be an indicator of a great age. In fairness, the C in the second part of the Spring Well stands out like a sore thumb to my ear and if it were up to me I'd play a B instead.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

https://tunearch.org/wiki/Spring_Well_(The)

no. 1080, p. 203 in O'Neill's Music of Ireland (aka 1850)
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

benhall.1 wrote:
PB+J wrote:Plugging away, learning a tune a week or so. I set out to learn "the Kesh" and came across Shannon Heaton teaching "The Spring Well," which as she points out is closely related to "the Kesh."

Where is "The Spring Well" in O'Neill's? Can you point me to which O'Neill's collection and which page or number it is? I'm having difficulty finding it. I only know of the Finbarr Dwyer tune, a reel, of that name.

P. 57 of the Krassen edition

PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: Where is "The Spring Well" in O'Neill's? Can you point me to which O'Neill's collection and which page or number it is?
I don't think you'll find it in Chief O'Neil's works. There is, however, one in Krassen's collection (p.66). Not sure I'd call it a close version of the Kesh although I can see why someone would think that.

I can't speak to the age of both tunes although some would probably argue the Kesh's gapped scale (no C) could be an indicator of a great age. In fairness, the C in the second part of the Spring Well stands out like a sore thumb to my ear and if it were up to me I'd play a B instead.

Yes I keep trying to play a B, part of what's interesting about it
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Must be a different edition from mine :D
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

NicoMoreno wrote:https://tunearch.org/wiki/Spring_Well_(The)

no. 1080, p. 203 in O'Neill's Music of Ireland (aka 1850)
Well, that's a bit rubbish of me. I have a searchable index of the 1850 and the 1001 Gems, and I couldn't find it. It's there, right enough, though. Thanks NicoMoreno. :thumbsup:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

I've just looked up The Kesh in The Fiddler's Companion. It appears to be, as these things go, a very old tune: The fiddler's Companion says that, "The first printed version appears to be in George Petrie’s 1850’s collection under the title “Tear the Callies.”"

So I don't think there's much to be gleaned about the evolution of tunes by a comparison between these two old tunes.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Must be a different edition from mine :D
I've obviously got the same edition as you, Mr G. Page 66 in mine, too.

I've just looked up Tear the Callies in Petrie. It turns out to be pretty much identical to The Spring Well, including the second part, which seems so different (to me, at least) from the second part of The Kesh Jig. Hmmm ... Drawing board?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not sure I'd call it a close version of the Kesh although I can see why someone would think that.
I was a bit quick of the mark there. Playing it again it's easy to see where the transition from one to the other occurs. :oops:
My brain hurts

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Here's the version in my copy of the digital O'Neill's -- notably minus the (to my eyes kind of weird) Krassen changes.

My instinct is that the AGG G2 pattern at the end of the parts is a sign that a tune is more old fashioned. HOWEVER, I thought to peek at irishtune.info, and it also lists The Kesh as #1030 (as well as #1080, The Spring Well). Here's #1030:

Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

So it's in the same family with The Kesh, and it's not clear whose the eldest?

I don't know much about musicology though I know a good bit about the history of American music. I would guess, just a guess not based on systematic evidence, that more modern tunes would reflect the cultural hegemony of American pop music, a lot of which is derived from African American music and minstrel shows.

When did the banjo enter into the family of acceptable instruments for Irish traditional music?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

PB+J wrote:So it's in the same family with The Kesh, and it's not clear whose the eldest?
What catches my attention about "The Spring Well" and "The Mountaineer's March" is how they seem to have complementary bits of "The Kesh" in them. But I don't see any obvious way of knowing whether that means "The Kesh" is their common ancestor or a blend of the two of them or something else.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Banjo
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo
You'll find what you're looking for there.

b