stylistic difference between old and modern tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: stylistic difference between old and modern tunes

Post by benhall.1 »

PB+J wrote:When did the banjo enter into the family of acceptable instruments for Irish traditional music?
Has it? :twisted:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
PB+J wrote:When did the banjo enter into the family of acceptable instruments for Irish traditional music?
Has it? :twisted:
I know a banjo player who says he likes sitting next to accordionists. Makes the banjo sound "almost delicate", he says.

Actually, I've heard some unusually compelling Trad banjo on occasion, especially one time by Larry Nugent's sister, recorded on cassette tape in a kitchen. Before then I never imagined one could squeeze emotion out of a banjo, but she sure did it. Must run in the blood.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

B part of the Spring Well sure sounds like the C part of the Farranfore jig on John Skelton and Kieran O'Hare's "Two-Tone" album...