Joe Heaney: Song of Granite

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Joe Heaney: Song of Granite

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A beautiful, monumental film, shown on TG4 last night , available here
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Joe Heaney: Song of Granite

Post by An Draighean »

"Geo-restricted, this programme is unavailable in your area".
:puppyeyes:
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

An Draighean wrote:"Geo-restricted, this programme is unavailable in your area".
:puppyeyes:
Likewise. I also couldn't find it on their App.

Though.. I did find the 2018 Gradam Ceoil from April 1st and Planxty - No Disco from April 2. So that made downloading the app worth it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Some programmes seem to have been restricted in some locations, licensing issues I suppose. I linked 'The Pure Drop : Liam O'Flynn' last week and heard back from people who were unable to find that while it's still up for me. The 'No Disco' one seems to work in most places though.

Not sure if the Joe Heaney one is just restricted in the US haven't heard complaints from Europe. Lovely piece of work.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

It's available to rent or purchase via Amazon, iTunes, and Youtube, so that's probably why it's restricted.

We watched it - it was very good, but you had to know something about Joe Heaney to follow it. The cinematography is gorgeous, but there's some dramatization and some straight up documentary in the middle, so it's a bit of an odd film.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The film does use some footage of the real life Joe Heaney but I didn't feel it ever went near a documentary format. But the overall form is unusual.

I also thought I recognised some footage from the 1965 film 'The Irishmen', which itself has Josie Sheáin Jeaic Mac Donncha, another singer from Carna, as one of its subjects. Worth seeing, that one, too.
My brain hurts

Connor Toole

Post by Connor Toole »

I was able to watch this movie some time ago. I really enjoyed it. I was especially glad to see Séamus Begley in the session scene, he is one of my favorite musicians and singers.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

Just wanted to say that in the US, at least, the movie is currently available to stream *free* on Amazon with a Prime membership.