Fair Plé

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fair Plé

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

BigBpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Re: Fair Plé

Post by BigBpiper »

Oh gosh. I figured it would be here soon. What did you think Mr. Gumby? I very much apreciate Ms. Scanlon's clarification:

“There are no easy or obvious answers”, Scanlon insists, “but we need to look at how it’s [the world of professional music] constructed and to possibly deconstruct it so that it’s fairer for everybody. This is not about us as women, trying to push men aside, but instead for us all to move forward into a new space together.”

Fine by me. I'm perfectly fine with everyone who wants to play Irish music to be able to take steps toward becoming professional if they so choose. I don't think anyone can promise equality of outcome in this case, though. In any case, so many of the best Irish musicians ARE women: Winifred Horan, Eileen Ivers, Joanie Madden + Cherish the ladies, Sharon Shannon, Kiana June Weber, Liz Carroll, and, of course, Mary Bergin. The list goes on and on. Based on at least my experience, I very much doubt that there are any stigmas against women when it comes to Irish trad... But what do you other posters think? I certainly don't claim to have all the answers.
Cheers!