The Irish Washerwoman.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: The Irish Washerwoman.

Post by Nanohedron »

oleorezinator wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Well, I'm sure there are a host of cultural and personal elements to speculate over as to the reason why a Yank would be more likely to vocalize - I have my own theories - but in his or her defense (couldn't tell if it was male or female), at least this one didn't shout.
It's very simple. In America we are permitted
to exhibit emotion.
Snarky, but maybe you're onto something, there. I can say as a native that in the US, earnest appreciation does indeed allow and include commentary amid the applause. It's not considered taboo, but is part of the adulatory mix. For those unaccustomed to a Yankish sense of etiquette during performances (assuming we're unique in this, which I'm not convinced of), one might note that the person so inspired restrained himself until after the piece was done, kept his volume down to within immediate earshot only - I would have said he almost murmurred it reverentially - and that would be a reasonably normal moment among a well-mannered audience, or so an American would think. This all a matter of degree. If the stage is hot, the audience will be noisier in its appreciation, according to the venue. To not say something isn't rude, but neither does it show that special appreciation that deserves to be said. Doing so also invites a polite response from your neighbor, reinforcing the social aspect of the occasion. From my set of sensibilities, if all the audience did was clap and nothing more at all, I'd be uncomfortable with that, taking it as merely a pro forma show for politeness' sake but little else. Any performer knows how it feels to be damned with faint praise, and a tight-wrapped audience would absolutely kill me. But again, Yank here. As a stranger in a strange land, I would think that my gesture of appreciation - properly modulated, of course - would be well-received. Better that, I would think, than to say nothing and have it assumed without any surprise that, as a foreigner with nothing else to recommend me, I must of course be insensate to the moment. And I wouldn't start out yammering, either. You have to ease into these things. Can't speak for the rest of my fellow Americans on that count.

So how does that thinking compare to the Eastern Atlantic?

(Back to Irish Washerwoman soon, I promise. :wink: )
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Well, I'm sure there are a host of cultural and personal elements to speculate over as to the reason why a Yank would be more likely to vocalize - I have my own theories - but in his or her defense (couldn't tell if it was male or female), at least this one didn't shout.
It's very simple. In America we are permitted
to exhibit emotion.
Snarky
Was it? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was just an admission of relative weakness. :twisted:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kenny wrote:Could some kind person please test this link and let me know if it works or not ? Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wkhpg4lc2ssk ... mCVua?dl=0
Lovely.

And that has inspired me to go back and listen to Johnny Doherty again. My tastes must have changed. I loved it this time around. Has someone linked to it already? Apologies if so. Here it is. It starts at about 4:40.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:It's very simple. In America we are permitted
to exhibit emotion.
Snarky
Was it? Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was just an admission of relative weakness. :twisted:
I think, Ben, that you must go into it with a siege mentality, whereas I go into it as a contact sport. :love:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I think, Ben, that you must go into it with a siege mentality, whereas I go into it as a contact sport. :love:
Oo-er! Cor blimey! ... even

:boggle:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Is that UK for "ouch"?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Is that UK for "ouch"?
Er ... not exactly ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, don't be coy, now...
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:
Snarky
It certainly wasn't meant to be snarky,
just to the point. No offense meant here,
and apologies if any taken. :)
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

No worries; I'm Minnesotan. We read between lines that aren't even there. :boggle:
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

oleorezinator wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:
Snarky
It certainly wasn't meant to be snarky,
just to the point. No offense meant here,
and apologies if any taken. :)
In case you're wondering, absolutely no offense taken by me. I thought it was funny. Plus ... you're right. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Is that UK for "ouch"?
Er ... not exactly ...
C'mon. After all these years I'm still trying to get a handle on this stuff. For the longest time, I thought "hirple" was the sound an ostrich makes, you know.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:For the longest time, I thought "hirple" was the sound an ostrich makes, you know.
I had to Google "hirple". To walk with a limp? Never come across the word before.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Good Scots word, Ben...

Lochaber Athletic Club (of which I'm a member) has an event called the Triple Hirple, which consists of three separate (relatively short) hill races on successive days/evenings... Meall an t-Suidhe, the Half Ben (Nevis) and Cow Hill.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

5 versions in the Dropbox folder - [ see previous post, and thanks to Mr. Gumby for confirmation that it works ] :

Dermot Byrne
Alan MacLeod [ "Tannahill Weavers" - Scottish bagpipe hornpipe version ]
"Battlefield Band" [ Scottish bagpipe hornpipe version ]
Paddy Fahy
I remembered a version I quite liked played by USA fiddler Jim Eagan.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"