The Irish Washerwoman.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
oleorezinator
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

The Irish Washerwoman.

Post by oleorezinator »

You all know it. You've all played it.
Anyone who's played a gig in the USA
or Canada has gotten a request fer it.
Some of you love it, some of you hate it.
Please feel free to post yer favorite
version/recording. You or anyone playing it.
Thanks,
O.
Let's start it off with that most traditional of instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wko5BqWR8gw
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Mr.Gumby

Re: The Irish Washerwoman.

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I like it well enough, it's a fun tune in spite of the baggage it carries. Both Ed Reavey and Paddy Fahey rewrote it, Tommy Reck did a lovely job on it, Patsy Touhey played to gallery but had fun with it, Gerdy Commane recorded a nice take. More tha na few did an unintended hatchet job on it, but what can you do?
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I must admit, I love the tune. I'll have a think about versions, but I play it often. :)
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I like it well enough, it's a fun tune in spite of the baggage it carries. Both Ed Reavey and Paddy Fahey rewrote it, Tommy Reck did a lovely job on it, Patsy Touhey played to gallery but had fun with it, Gerdy Commane recorded a nice take. More tha na few did an unintended hatchet job on it, but what can you do?
I wonder if Tommy Potts was ever recorded
playing it. If you'd care to share some files
Please do by all means.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

playing it.
Hm, can't think of any of Potts. I did just find a Johnny Doherty one though. And a 78rpm by K,. Scanlon. In 1982 I recorded both Joe and Dermot O'Loughlin playing the tune. There are probably a few more knocking about that I can't think of right now.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
playing it.
Hm, can't think of any of Potts. I did just find a Johnny Doherty one though. And a 78rpm by K,. Scanlon. In 1982 I recorded both Joe and Dermot O'Loughlin playing the tune. There are probably a few more knocking about that I can't think of right now.
The Johnny Doherty one is famous. I'm not that keen on it, though, which is unusual for me - I generally love anything the man ever did. But not that.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I must confess I’ve never bothered to learn the tune, despite 13 years of playing and accumulating hundreds of tunes. I can hear it in my head, so could probably figure it out without trouble, but just never felt the desire to.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Thomaston wrote:I must confess I’ve never bothered to learn the tune, despite 13 years of playing and accumulating hundreds of tunes. I can hear it in my head, so could probably figure it out without trouble, but just never felt the desire to.
Really? It's a great tune. I love it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Johnny Doherty one is famous. I'm not that keen on it, though, which is unusual for me - I generally love anything the man ever did. But not that.
I don't know, this is a recording of a gig he did at some hotel. Not sure you'd love him playing the Colonel Bogey medley he did there though, although, again, it is fun. :D
I must confess I’ve never bothered to learn the tune
No, but it's one of those tunes that's just there. When I was very young they had the farming news on just before the one O'clock news, prices of cattle on the marts, that sort of stuff, it opened with a bunch of violinists playing the Irish Washerwoman, when I was sick, home from school I always heard that on the radio. I suppose it stuck right there. But since I have heard great players play it and there are lovely versions of it, but it has baggage: listening to John Sheehan hamming it up with André Rieu will put anyone off it but I have played it with Tommy Reck and I hold that occasion very dear.

[fixed typo]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:this is a recording of a gig he did at some hotel. Not sure you'd love him playing the Colonel Bogey medley he did there though, although, again, it is fun. :D
Yes, it is fun. :thumbsup: Lots of humour in there, and I like the harmonies.

Did I hear the obligatory Yank at the end saying "Waanderrrful!" :D
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I have a recording of Dermot Byrne playing a version - possibly from Donegal - I think in "Emaj". It's a wonderful piece of music.
I think I may have a recording of Paddy Fahy playing it somewhere as well.
Scottish Highland pipers have a 4-part hornpipe version, recorded by both "The Tannahill Weavers" and "The Battlefield Band" in the early-mid 1970s.
I play it occasionally as a waltz.
If I can find the time, and the recordings, I'll stick them in a Dropbox folder and post the link.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kenny wrote:I have a recording of Dermot Byrne playing a version - possibly from Donegal - I think in "Emaj". It's a wonderful piece of music.
Scottish Highland pipers have a 4-part hornpipe version, recorded by both "The Tannahill Weavers" and "The Battlefield Band" in the early-mid 1970s.
I play it occasionally as a waltz.
If I can find the time, and the recordings, I'll stick them in a Dropbox folder and post the link.
That would be great, Kenny. I'd love to hear that. :) (Or those? It's the Dermot Byrne in particular I'd be interested in, personally. I can't remember whether I've heard it before ...)
oleorezinator

Post by oleorezinator »

Did I hear the obligatory Yank at the end saying "!" :D[/quote]

benhall.1 wrote:
Did I hear the obligatory Yank at the end saying "Waanderrrful!" :D
Ben, which part of jolly old do you hail from?
And is the pronunciation there rhotic or non rhotic?
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
- Frank Zappa
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you can't find it, I have one here as well. There's a notation of his version in CRE2, for the impatient.

Now, reel version, anyone?

BG ~G2 DG ~G2 | BdBG dGAB | cA ~A2 eA ~A2 | cBcd egdc|
BG ~G2 dG ~G2 | BdBG dGAB | cBcd egge | dABa G ....
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

There's an unusual EP CD by Kavan Donohoe from Co. Cavan playing an "electronic" set of "VPipes" [ "v" for "Virtual" ], and he plays a reel called "Clancy's Fancy" which I would almost swear is a reel version of the "IW". I'll include it too. This will take a day or two.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"