Easy Irish tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
rossaduc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have been trying to expand my skills playing Irish music for a couple years. Hope to learn something here esp re D flute.

Easy Irish tunes

Post by rossaduc »

So, couple of years back happened to be in Dublin for work for the first time, walked into the Cobblestone with co workers for a beer and happened upon open mic night for local folk music school and got to hear at least Ook pik waltz. Well I loved the tune, came back home and looked it up and discovered family band Morghande had done it and a few others that I especially liked, like Crested Hens, Star of the County Down, Frailich. All very melodic and I found easy to play. Looking for other similar tunes. Unfortunately for me not a lot of waltzey slow Irish tunes I can find. I suppose it is not just a question of the time or tempo of the tunes or the melodic nature of the tunes but they seem esp accessible to my level of skill and especially since not versed in the typical rigors of Irish flute style I can play them without embarrassing myself too much. Looking for more of the same, songs/tunes that are good for some starting to develop not only an appreciation but slowly developing skills. Aran Boat Song, Ook Pik Waltz, Crested Hens, Frailich, Star of the County Down all tunes I got pretty adept at quickly if that tells you anything. Now retired and looking to spend more time working on my music and in the hopes one day to expand opportunities to play with others. I play concert flute though I did pick up a Tony Dixon D polymer not that long ago, quite a learning curve, ie. covering holes properly. Thanks Rich
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Easy Irish tunes

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

You might want to check out Shannon Heaton’s “First 50” , it’s pretty much exactly what you’re looking for. there’s a review here: https://tradconnect.com/m/blogpost?id=6 ... t%3A205554
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

rossaduc wrote:Unfortunately for me not a lot of waltzey slow Irish tunes I can find. I suppose it is not just a question of the time or tempo of the tunes or the melodic nature of the tunes but they seem esp accessible to my level of skill and especially since not versed in the typical rigors of Irish flute style I can play them without embarrassing myself too much. Looking for more of the same, songs/tunes that are good for some starting to develop not only an appreciation but slowly developing skills. Aran Boat Song, Ook Pik Waltz, Crested Hens, Frailich, Star of the County Down all tunes I got pretty adept at quickly if that tells you anything.
You do know that...
Ookpik Waltz is Canadian?
Crested Hens (Les Poules Huppées) is French?
Itzkel (Frailock) is from the Klezmer tradition?
Aran Boat Song is potentially Scottish (possibly referring to neither the Aran Islands nor Isle of Arran)?

Nothing wrong with your choice of tunes, but please don't attribute them all to Ireland.

That said, The South Wind springs to mind as suiting your needs.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?