Singable dance tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
AaronFW
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Singable dance tunes

Post by AaronFW »

Hey guys,
Can you guys give me the names of ITM tunes that a vocalist can sing that aren’t airs? I’m thinking of things like “Britches Full of Stitches” and “The Rattling Bog” which have optional vocals.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
irishmuse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Singable dance tunes

Post by irishmuse »

Hi Aaron

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TXIDVw-9U

or this ( in Irish though mind you )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QejBl2OuPWU

Both great tunes in themselves
Cheers
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Those were great.
:thumbsup: Yes, those are exactly the types of tunes I am looking for. :)
awildman

Post by awildman »

Any tune can be lilted. Pick your favorite and go to town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jjb3P2SvLQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnUOq0euqYQ
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

"Cunla" (as performed by Planxty) is words set to the tune of the double jig "The Frieze Breeches".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqSaWpYEwY0
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

The Rocky Road to Dublin

The Dean's Pamphlet. Sly verses by Jonathan Swift. Tune is Packington's Pound.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

awildman wrote:Any tune can be lilted. Pick your favorite and go to town. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jjb3P2SvLQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnUOq0euqYQ
Thanks for the links, awildman. I had not had much success when looking for lilting. :)

(Also thanks to other people for links.)
Brus

Post by Brus »

AaronFW wrote: Thanks for the links, awildman. I had not had much success when looking for lilting. :)
If you're at all interested in the Scottish type of trad, google on "Puirt à beul".
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
MaryC
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Post by MaryC »

Eileen Óg

Off She Goes

I Danced in the Morning

(apologies if any are shown in the linked-to videos, I can't play them to check where I am now).
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Mason's Apron.
You really should hear Robbie McMahon do that one, brilliant.

Here's a version @ ITMA, not the older recording I was thinking of but it will do.

If you go the lilting route though, every dance tune can be mentioned here. Image

I am still a bit unclear what the OP is after, there are thousands of dance tunes that have songs set to them, from The Blackbird or Taimse in Arrears to Con Ó Drisceoil's brilliant summary of 'King Lear' (set to Tatter Jack Walsh)and about as many song airs that are re-purposed as dance tunes. But I somehow feel that's not quite what the question is about.

[fixed typo in one of the titles]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Con Ó Drisceoil's brilliant summary of 'King Lear' (set to Tatter Jack Walsh).
One of the best summaries I have ever heard. A must for any student of Shakespeare :lol: . It is my favorite of all Con's songs.

Cheers

John
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Mr.Gumby wrote:...Con Ó Drisceoil's brilliant summary of 'King Lear' (set to Tatter Jack Walsh)..
Nice

The Pool Song is another amusing take on the same tune. Lyrics by Jimmy Crowley.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Lyrics by Jimmy Crowley.
No, that's another Con O Drisceoil one, the air is 'The Clonmel Cows' (according to himself, in his book). Crowley was the first to record it though, in 1975.
My brain hurts

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Right you are. Funny, I could have sworn that the notes to 30 Years A-Greying credits Jimmy Crowley. Perhaps whoever wrotes the notes knew it only from Crowley's cover, and assumed.

C.S. Lewis