Singable dance tunes

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Singable dance tunes

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Pool Song brought Mick Hanly's 'The Scourge of the Nation' to mind. More because of the subject matter, more deadly than darts and worse than the pool..., than for it being a dance tune perhaps : here
My brain hurts

Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

If it's Shakespeare you want, there's always Oor Hamlet by Adam McNaughton.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
The Mason's Apron.
I am still a bit unclear what the OP is after, there are thousands of dance tunes that have songs set to them, from The Blackbird or Taimse in Arrears to Con Ó Drisceoil's brilliant summary of 'King Lear' (set to Tatter Jack Walsh)and about as many song airs that are re-purposed as dance tunes. But I somehow feel that's not quite what the question is about.

[fixed typo in one of the titles]
Thanks for the suggestions of tunes, Mr. Gumby.

As simple as it is, I don't know a great way to find the songs/lyrics that have been set to dance tunes. If I google for them, it is somewhat unreliable. I sometimes get information about the tune setting, but that isn't reliable. The other part of the time, I just find airs or just instrumentals. So hearing people's recommendations of singable tunes is helpful.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

It seems worth admitting that I am a noob as it comes to Irish Traditional music. That is to say, I've been under-exposed to ITM.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't know a great way to find the songs/lyrics that have been set to dance tunes.
I wasn't, and am still not, completely sure what it is you're after. In my own mind I separate songs that happen to be set to an air that is also used as a dance tune separate from the tunes that are danced to. To take the example of 'King Lear', it's a song not something anyone would dance to, even while it's set to a wellknown jig. And same for some of the others I mentioned. I am still not sure you're not looking for something to sing that people will dance to, something that will happen in for example old time music but not so much in Irish music (other than perhaps an old time waltz but I am not sure you're looking for the likes of 'Moonlight in Mayo' either).

There are some little ditties like Bess Cronin's 'Cold potatoes' (that Séamus Ennis used) which is set to part of the tune of 'Scattery Island' or the one the Chieftains did 'If I had a wife..', 'Auntie Mary had a canary' and things like that. And there's perhaps the more novelty like songs like 'When I was young, I was Merry and Frisky, My dad kept a pig and my mother sold whiskey..' to the Irish Washerwoman.

And there's this : Mo Dha Gabharin Bhui Not sure about it's credentials as a dance tune but it's lovely so there you go.

There's all that but again, really depends on the way you want to use the songs you're looking for.
My brain hurts

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Mo Dha Gabharin Bhui (I have two yellow goats) is a great polka, but like many songs that are also tune melodies, the song stretches the phrasing and you wouldn't play it the same way as you'd sing it.

The Kerry Cow and You Broke My Cups and Saucers have a short couple of lines each, which Bobby Gardiner included to great effect on one of his recordings.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Mo Dha Gabharin Bhui (I have two yellow goats) is a great polka
I was thinking of Lizzie Crotty and Micho's versions, which aren't far from what is sung.

You can trust Bobby Gardiner to have the odd line or two, he's a gas man.
My brain hurts

AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I don't know a great way to find the songs/lyrics that have been set to dance tunes.
I wasn't, and am still not, completely sure what it is you're after. In my own mind I separate songs that happen to be set to an air that is also used as a dance tune separate from the tunes that are danced to. To take the example of 'King Lear', it's a song not something anyone would dance to, even while it's set to a wellknown jig. And same for some of the others I mentioned. I am still not sure you're not looking for something to sing that people will dance to, something that will happen in for example old time music but not so much in Irish music (other than perhaps an old time waltz but I am not sure you're looking for the likes of 'Moonlight in Mayo' either).

There are some little ditties like Bess Cronin's 'Cold potatoes' (that Séamus Ennis used) which is set to part of the tune of 'Scattery Island' or the one the Chieftains did 'If I had a wife..', 'Auntie Mary had a canary' and things like that. And there's perhaps the more novelty like songs like 'When I was young, I was Merry and Frisky, My dad kept a pig and my mother sold whiskey..' to the Irish Washerwoman.

And there's this : Mo Dha Gabharin Bhui Not sure about it's credentials as a dance tune but it's lovely so there you go.

There's all that but again, really depends on the way you want to use the songs you're looking for.
Oh, thanks for clarifying the ambiguity.

I am looking for songs to sing that are reels, jigs, hornpipes, etc. By "Dance tunes" I was hoping to exclude aires.

For example... I had not known until recently that "Whiskey before Breakfast" had lyrics. So for me it would be an example of a singable dance tune since the vocals are optional.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I was hoping to exclude aires.
Arguably any melody carrying words is an air but I know what you are saying.

And, matter of wood and trees, you can look at Paddy O'Rafferty and Brian O'Lynn as well
My brain hurts

MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

How about that? Invitation to a funeral, sung to the tune of "The Teatotaller":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GbXX8wmcWg
Another version here: https://www.itma.ie/digital-library/sou ... nbar_boyle
awildman

Post by awildman »

Just remembered this. For whatever it's worth. https://youtu.be/SuDuvbDFdis
AaronFW

Post by AaronFW »

awildman wrote:Just remembered this. For whatever it's worth. https://youtu.be/SuDuvbDFdis
That is definitely worth something. Thanks for sharing it. :)