cormac breatnach's version of si beag si mor

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
john

cormac breatnach's version of si beag si mor

Post by john »

could anyone tell me if cormac's version of the tune (there's a clip of him playing it with michael o'suileabhean here] is the same as version 6 on this page (somebody has provided a transcription in abc further down of cormac's version which from pasting into an abc reader and comparing several phrases looks the same as far as i can see)
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: cormac breatnach's version of si beag si mor

Post by Peter Duggan »

Yes it is. It's not 100% accurate (pedantic?) transcription, but pretty close. So there are odd little pick-up notes etc. missed, the repeat signs are spurious (it's straight through bar a reprise of the last strain after the harpsichord solo at the end) and the last note's an octave out, but it's unquestionably his version.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
john

Re: cormac breatnach's version of si beag si mor

Post by john »

thanks peter, sounds like it's close enough for me - i think it's a tune where i will have to practice some phrases over and over again in isolation to try and get them - cormac seems to have exceptional ability in rewriting well-known tunes making them sound true to the original but very different too