Pat Molloy Summer School fast approaching

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
tonyhoss
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle and run sessions in New Jersey. I also book musicians for events and performances.
I am one of the organizers of the Pat Molloy Summer School in Birmingham, England

Pat Molloy Summer School fast approaching

Post by tonyhoss »

The Anne and Pat Molloy Summer School returns for its 6th year on July 15th/16th 2017.

Same wonderful school, with a few new twists this year!

- legendary fiddler and musical educator Matt Cranitch is flying over
- we have a returning hero in the shape of Marco Pollier on pipes
- we "go deep" and channel Pat Molloy's love of the Sligo Fiddle Masters (with David Lyth)
- we recognize Birmingham is "box country" and host a jamboree contest
- revamped web site ( http://patmolloysummerschool.com )
- still "Passing on the joy of Traditional Irish Music, deep in the Heart of Birmingham"
- still in the South & City College, in the arts mecca that is now Digbeth
- still instigating massive uproarious sessions in the wonderful local Victorian pubs
- still in the middle of July (15th/16th)

Matt Cranitch has an outstanding reputation as a teacher, and wrote "The Irish Fiddle Book" which has become a classic in the field. Matt asked about the summer school during a recent trip to The Trip to Birmingham TradFest and once he realized what we do, and remembering his own times spend with Pat, he was happy to sign on as a tutor. And we are more than happy to have him!

Marco Pollier is a legend from his time as a young pipe prodigy in Birmingham. The pipes have become a bit of a rarity in Birmingham - time to fix that! Please pass on the news to anyone interested in the pipes – this is a rare opportunity.

We are pleased to announce the first in the Summer School Lecture Series, with David Lyth discussing “Bowing Styles of the Sligo Fiddle Masters”. Don’t worry, it’s not like going back to school classroom, it’s going to be fun and interactive.

One of the things we have wanted to do on the Summer School for a while is to tie back to some of the specifics of Pat’s teaching. Pat was a huge devotee of the Sligo players of the early 20th century, Michael Coleman in particular. This topic also holds a place in my heart as I remember poring over David’s bowings of Lord Gordon’s Reel in my early lessons with Pat.

The talk will be one of the activity streams on Sunday morning and will last for about an hour. David will talk about fiddle playing in general, and Coleman, Morrison and Killoran in particular. You can then listen to some fiddle classics, with David illustrating some of the techniques on the fiddle. There will then be an open discussion, followed by an opportunity for everyone to play Lord Gordon together as a fun way to finish off.

Another activity stream on Sunday morning will be the “The BIG Birmingham Button Box Competition” with some significant prizes. We really need to get some numbers to plan around so please contact us if you have any interest. This is not going to be like "Your Mama’s competitions" – the emphasis is going to be on fun, like all of the Anne and Pat Molloy Summer School. Have a go!

So please check out the web site, book now and most of all spread the word. Also check us out on Facebook.