Lament for Owen Roe

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
computer-mom
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by computer-mom »

I love the version of Cumha Eoghain Rua Ui Neill (Lament for Owen Roe O'Neill) on Clannad's Dulaman album. Is it the same one O'Carolan wrote? If it's not, does anyone know who wrote it?

I downloaded the sheet music for O'Carolan's Lament for Owen Roe, and to me, it doesn't sound at all the same.

Thanks.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Haven't heard the Clannad version but it's probably the air that I have heard on several records - not the same Carolan's composition, although both begin with an ascending scale, and both are lovely tunes.

Have no idea of the origins of this other air.

If it's the tune I know, I'd say it would be no great challenge to pick out by ear. Start on low E, although you can also play it in starting on A.
computer-mom

Post by computer-mom »

Steve: Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I downloaded the sheet music when I was having trouble learning the tune, but I have since learned to play it by ear, and I did in fact start on low e.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On MP3.com there is a GLORIOUS version of this tune done by a Scottish guitarist. I put it on one of my stations, I think O'Carolan's Welcome.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Re: Lament for Owen Roe

Post by Ellen »

[Wow! This is some thread resurrection! Mod.]

... 14 years later ...

Hello dear C&Fers,

This tune - called "Cumha Eoghain Rua Ui Neill" on a Clannad album (A Celtic Tapestry Vol. 2 ? Dulaman ?) - I am learning on harp by ear.
--> Clannad --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrnqoYxfQk4
--> beautiful lute7guitar version --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9MswY5TU1k
--> harp version --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=536UDRf60ac

The tune is NOT O'Carolan's "Lament For Owen Roe O'Neill", as already pointed out 14 years ago :wink:

Now I'd love to get the sheet music for harp, but can't find it anywhere. The tune is easily picked up by ear, the accompaniment is what I'm struggling with a bit (I've got a basic version in my ear and would like to find good variations, so that I can accompany e.g. a whistle/low whistle).
I don't really read (or write) sheet music, yet it helps me to pin down my 'ear-ideas' and remember them.

Can anybody help?

Greetings
Ellen
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Did we even have the internet in 2003? *

* I know we did. I'm just being over-dramatic.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I learned an air by this name from a Dolores Keane recording way back. I haven't played it in years, but my mental ears are telling me exactly how it goes. You know, that DK LP (there was a maid, 1978) was a pretty good record. She sang better than she fluted, but there wasn't anything wrong with her fluting. She did both better than I'll ever do.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Post by Ellen »

Thanks for your thoughts so far.
benhall.1 wrote:Did we even have the internet in 2003? *
.... Modem-time, was it?
I recently listened to a contemporary piece by Ferran Cruixent, "Binary for 2 Pianos" (2015), two grand pianos and modem sounds in it. Weird :)
s1m0n wrote:I learned an air by this name from a Dolores Keane recording way back ... that DK LP (there was a maid, 1978) was a pretty good record.
Thank you for bringing Dolores and with her also Sean Keane back to mind. Beautiful voices, fine music.

All the best
Ellen
kenny

Post by kenny »

What's being discussed here are 2 entirely different tunes which apparently have the same name. I first heard a slow air called "Caoineadh Eoghain Rua" played by Cathal McConnell on the first "Boys Of The Lough" album in 1973. Dolores Keane also recorded the same tune on her album "There Was A Maid". This air is played in quite a free-flowing style by both flute players, whereas the "Clannad" tune is a bit more strict tempo, in the typical style of O'Carolan.

There are 3 tunes posted under variations of "Lament For Owen Roe O'Neill" on "thesession.org"

"Lament For Owen Roe O’Neill" - https://thesession.org/tunes/7199 - no source given

"Caoineadh Eoghain Rua" - https://thesession.org/tunes/12447 - source given as Cathal McConnell on "Boys Of The Lough" LP.

"Lament For Owen Roe O’Neill" - https://thesession.org/tunes/907 - source given as "Clannad"

Hope this helps.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"