Thin Lizzy Black Rose Roisin Dubh

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
jordino.bambino
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a question about some traditional Irish songs that are part of a thin lizzy song and I was looking for some insight, this seems like he right place to post a subject like that.

Thin Lizzy Black Rose Roisin Dubh

Post by jordino.bambino »

I was wondering if anybody could tell me which traditional songs are included in the song Black Rose by Thin Lizzy. Particularly the parts after they play a snippet from Danny Boy, up to the extremely fast jig part. Wikipedia says that both of these parts are from The Mason's Apron but upon listening to various versions of the Masons Apron I have never heard anything that sounds like what is heard in the Black Rose song. Very curious to know.

https://youtu.be/TjjpBb9q1PA
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Thin Lizzy Black Rose Roisin Dubh

Post by Nanohedron »

There are nods to March of the King of Laois and Rakish Paddy.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Before Danny Boy, they play Shenandoah and The Bloomin' Heather. Then, after Danny Boy, there are two further song snippets, neither of which I recognise. After those, the first tune is indeed The March of the Kings of Laois, followed by the first part of The Union Reel (which is ever so similar to , but not quite the same as, The Foxhunter's Reel); then we get both parts of Rakish Paddy. It seems as if they've tacked those two together as if it was a three part reel. I don't hear The Mason's Apron at all, and I would suggest that that part of the Wikipedia article was written by someone who has no knowledge of Irish music. (Unless there's something in there that I'm not hearing.)
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

The tune breakdown for Roisin Dubh (Black Rose): A Rock Legend, including the reference to Mason's Apron, has been on the Wikipedia page since 2005. It does look to me that it was put there by someone interested in rock music, not trad. Any chance those details come from the album liner notes? If not, they should probably be removed.

Given that it the original addition identified "Danny Boy" and "Will You Go Lassy Go" and rather than "Londonderry Air" and "The Braes of Balquhither" or "Wild Mountain Thyme", or at least "Will You Go Lassie Go", I would consider it suspect.
jordino.bambino
Tell us something.: I have a question about some traditional Irish songs that are part of a thin lizzy song and I was looking for some insight, this seems like he right place to post a subject like that.

Post by jordino.bambino »

Thank you so much. I have been wondering this for so long... excited to listen to all of these tunes!