Name of a tune

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Amergin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am registering to this forum because I am a new whistle player with an interest in Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, and other traditional music among other forms of music and would like to learn more, be able to ask questions when I have them, and so forth. Thanks.

Name of a tune

Post by Amergin »

Hello, I was hoping someone could identify a particular tune for me. On the Chieftains album "The Chieftains 4" on the track "The Battle of Aughrim" there are a variety of tunes played (Return from Fingal is one of them for example) and I am specifically trying to find out what the slow air played toward the end of the track on the whistle/pipes with harp accompaniment is called and if there is ABC notation for it. Specifically the tune runs from about 4:30 to 6:00 on the track. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Name of a tune

Post by Flexismart »

Plenty of info here to figure out what you're wanting:
https://thesession.org/tunes/1308
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The tune is called 'The Lament for Aughrim' I am not sure where it came from but but poking around a bit some corners of the interwebs suggest it appeared in (an appendix of) Walker's Historical Memoirs of the Irish Bards (1786). But then again, I have just spent some time quickly leafing through that without managing to find it.

To me it seems to play with the theme of 'The Wild Geese' a bit (which makes sense in a way, given the context).

A nice take on it, long before the Chieftains did it, by the McPeake's here
My brain hurts

Amergin
Tell us something.: Hi, I am registering to this forum because I am a new whistle player with an interest in Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Cornish, Breton, and other traditional music among other forms of music and would like to learn more, be able to ask questions when I have them, and so forth. Thanks.

Post by Amergin »

Thanks for the replies. At least I know the name of the tune now but alas could find no ABC notation or even sheet music doing a basic search, so looks like I will have to try to learn by ear, though that will likely require some struggling on my part since I am new to whistle playing.

Rather than create another separate thread for such a basic question, I was also wondering does anyone know where I can find the notation or sheet music for the song "Amhrán Pheter Mhicil Báille" (such has sung by Traolach Ó Conghaile here) and how well such a song would translate on the low whistle?

Thanks again.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

That version by the McPeakes is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for the link, Peter. Set me up for the day, that has! :thumbsup: :)