It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 am
Posts: 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AN04imFDK8
Is this an Irish flute or a low whistle in the beginning?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:53 am
Posts: 545
Location: Burgdorf near Hanover, germany
Almost sure it's a low whistle.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:43 am
Posts: 1123
Location: Auburn, AL
Fun fact: those are uilleann pipes further in, not anything Scottish.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:53 am
Posts: 545
Location: Burgdorf near Hanover, germany
It's a long time since I watched the film, but IIRC, the complete soundtrack doesn't feature anything Scottish.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 am
Posts: 169
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire
Hollywood soundtracks are the ultimate victory of the tradition-mashing concept of 'Celtic Music', in that any 'Celtic' sound will do for any 'Celtic' nation. So what is the entire film is set in 13th Century Scotland? Apply a generous sound-wash of 1990s generic 'Celtic' and you're away!

See also Local Hero, BBC Countryfile every time they go to Scotland or Northern Ireland, etc etc. Countryfile are amongst the worst offenders - last time I saw something on that from Northern Ireland it was soundtracked with the works of that well known Northern Irish piper ... Kathryn Tickell!

I know it's only mood-setting music rather than meant to be or claiming to be historically and ethnographically correct, but it still gets my dander up :)

_________________
Steve Mansfield
http://www.lesession.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:39 pm 
Offline
Moderatorer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 32284
Location: Minneapolis
sfmans wrote:
Countryfile are amongst the worst offenders - last time I saw something on that from Northern Ireland it was soundtracked with the works of that well known Northern Irish piper ... Kathryn Tickell!

But ... fact-checking is so hard ... :twisted:

_________________
"Dreams about the future are always filled with gadgets." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

"An anti-lunacy gadget would be nice..." - Nano


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 2345
Location: Kinlochleven
Thomaston wrote:
Fun fact: those are uilleann pipes further in, not anything Scottish.

All those European orchestral instruments of diverse origin too! :o

sfmans wrote:
I know it's only mood-setting music rather than meant to be or claiming to be historically and ethnographically correct, but it still gets my dander up :)

So how do you feel about all those orchestras for sci-fi, westerns, costume dramas etc.? Historically and ethnographically correct?

:boggle:

_________________
Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.


Some old stuff, written and played by me


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 am
Posts: 169
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire
Peter Duggan wrote:
Thomaston wrote:
Fun fact: those are uilleann pipes further in, not anything Scottish.

All those European orchestral instruments of diverse origin too! :o

sfmans wrote:
I know it's only mood-setting music rather than meant to be or claiming to be historically and ethnographically correct, but it still gets my dander up :)

So how do you feel about all those orchestras for sci-fi, westerns, costume dramas etc.? Historically and ethnographically correct?

:boggle:


Now hang on a minute - are you suggesting that every space station and frontier town DIDN'T have their own symphony orchestra?

_________________
Steve Mansfield
http://www.lesession.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:59 am
Posts: 15
Location: Coventry, England
sfmans wrote:
Hollywood soundtracks are the ultimate victory of the tradition-mashing concept of 'Celtic Music', in that any 'Celtic' sound will do for any 'Celtic' nation. So what is the entire film is set in 13th Century Scotland? Apply a generous sound-wash of 1990s generic 'Celtic' and you're away!

See also Local Hero, BBC Countryfile every time they go to Scotland or Northern Ireland, etc etc. Countryfile are amongst the worst offenders - last time I saw something on that from Northern Ireland it was soundtracked with the works of that well known Northern Irish piper ... Kathryn Tickell!

I know it's only mood-setting music rather than meant to be or claiming to be historically and ethnographically correct, but it still gets my dander up :)


Though I agree with you, twas ever thus it seems.

Here's the correspondent of the Morning Post and Daily Advertiser, London, getting cross over the same issue, on the 8th of November 1791:

"As an Irishman, give me leave to observe, that in the representation of Oscar and Malvina the Irish pipes are introduced; but why the piper should be habited in a highland dress, I cannot reconcile to my feelings... now, by my shoul, I tink an Irishman playing so well upon the pipes as little C——y, should not be ashamed of his brogues, and let the music give his Scotch bonnet the lie."

The piper was a certain Denis Courtney who became well known at the time.

For more interesting stuff see: http://www.itma.ie/images/uploads/unionpipes.pdf

_________________
Andrew Wigglesworth
http://www.greenmanrising.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:17 am
Posts: 9812
Location: The Inside Passage
Quote:
... why the piper should be habited in a highland dress, I cannot reconcile to my feelings...


Because the Irish national dress hadn't been invented yet.

Image

And that cape-thingy would prolly foul the chanter

_________________
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 pm
Posts: 145
I do believe however, that during the wedding scene, and perhaps a time or two later there were Scottish small pipes in the soundtrack. :poke:

After it's Hollywood...and if Tom Cruise can be Jack Reacher Mel Gibson can sure as hell be William Wallace. :shock:

JD


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.118s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)