Wind That Shakes the Barley variant in movie?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Brus
antispam: No

Wind That Shakes the Barley variant in movie?

Post by Brus »

... or new tune?

At about 3:39 of this scene from the movie "The Magdalene Sisters" ..

(warning: scene in general not-safe-for-work)

Magdalene Sisters

... the musicians are playing The Wind That Shakes the Barley. At about the 4 minute mark there's a variation ... or is it a different tune? And if so, what is it?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Wind That Shakes the Barley variant in movie?

Post by Nanohedron »

That would be The Old Bush.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Brus

Post by Brus »

Nanohedron wrote:That would be The Old Bush.
Ah, thanks. From its entry on thesession, it looks popular enough and much-recorded, but I don't think I've heard it anywhere else.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

In my neck of the woods, sometimes we like to start with The Old Bush followed by Corney is Coming. A particularly fun set if you're a flute player who likes gettin' chuggy wid it. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Over here (and, in my experience, in Ireland too) The Old Bush is one of those 'done-to-death' tunes. Great tune though. Yes, fantastic on flute - even better on fiddle, in my opinion. The Cnat on the second half of the second bar in the second part is particularly good if you land on it slightly from below pitch and sort of glide up to slightly above pitch. Fantastic! :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:The Cnat on the second half of the second bar in the second part is particularly good if you land on it slightly from below pitch and sort of glide up to slightly above pitch.
A Nyah Supreme. :)