The Brexit Reel

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Thomaston
antispam: No

The Brexit Reel

Post by Thomaston »

Disclaimer: Thread not intended to be remotely political...
I looked around and it doesn't seem this has been posted yet. This a new, and imho opinion, lovely tune written within the last week. We've already added it to our local session repertoire. The guy that wrote it says it's in F#minor, but honestly that doesn't feel quite when I try it on bouzouki. Maybe a combo of that and B minor...
Anyway here it is:

And here is the page for it at thesession.org:
https://thesession.org/tunes/15449
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: The Brexit Reel

Post by benhall.1 »

I won't be playing it. Too painful. I'll see how long I can put up with this thread before breaking down in tears of anguish and anger ...
Steve Owen
Tell us something.: Interested in Irish Traditional Music. Hmm. I need more than 100 characters to say that? Well how about adding some tags: Whistle, Flute, Uilleann Pipes, stringy things like Fiddles and Bouzoukis. Oh but not Bodhráns. Enough?

Post by Steve Owen »

Hi Thomaston,

Here's a suggestion for some chords. Quite simply it can be harmonised against a repeating two bar (measure) sequence throughout.
||:F#m |A Bm :|| This would resolve to an F#m chord.

That's not a definitive sequence though. There are many possibilities, but it could be a starting point.

Cheers!

PS @benhall1 Writing it was quite cathartic. Perhaps you could ease the pain with a thrash of this tune?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I stupidly realized a couple of days after posting this that I had capoed too high and was trying to make G minor work. No wonder it didn't sound right!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Owen wrote:PS @benhall1 Writing it was quite cathartic. Perhaps you could ease the pain with a thrash of this tune?
Er ... no.
Steve Owen
Tell us something.: Interested in Irish Traditional Music. Hmm. I need more than 100 characters to say that? Well how about adding some tags: Whistle, Flute, Uilleann Pipes, stringy things like Fiddles and Bouzoukis. Oh but not Bodhráns. Enough?

Post by Steve Owen »

benhall.1 wrote:Er ... no.
No worries.