Jarlath Henderson - singer

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Jarlath Henderson - singer

Post by kenny »

Now I know that this site is more "attuned" to the instrumental side of the traditions, but Jarlath Henderson - whom I'm sure is known to many as an outstanding player of uilleann pipes and whistles - has just released his first solo album as a singer, and it's one of the best damned CDs I've ever heard in my life !

Check out the "Youtube" links here :

https://youtu.be/xWtibo4Mccs

https://youtu.be/QocCqjCpMkQ

[ - mind you, I'm not sure that Comhaltas are going to to keen on it. :) ]
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
chmarie1399
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long since a folk singer, guitarist and bodhranist, I now want to learn a proper melody instrument and am looking for a used irish flute as this is my instrument of choice. Keep your fingers crossed that I'll stick to it. That will be the main challenge.

Re: Jarlath Henderson - singer

Post by chmarie1399 »

I'm so glad I found your post! Have loved Jarlath's work as a piper for a long time. How could it slip my attention that he released a singing album? Ordered it right away...
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I don't think it's been the best publicised of releases, which is a great shame. Please let us know what you think of it once you get it.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Thanks for the heads up. I've been curious ever since, shortly after he won the Beeb's Young Tradition award, I read an aside in an article about him that JH "sings like Paul Brady". Listening to these clips, I can see the resemblance, although the timbre is different. And I'll have to grow into the backing.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis