Alan Lomax Irish Archives

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Alan Lomax Irish Archives

Post by Steve Bliven »

An article from Smithsonian Magazine describes an archive of Alan Lomax-collected materials now available on the web. While Mr. Lomax collected widely, there are two of the archives that might be of interest to folks here. These include the Irish archive and the Irish Traveller (primarily Margaret Barry material) archive.

Hope this is of interest to someone here.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
elderj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Irish flute and have one flute for sale. I'm also interested in older Rudall and Rose flutes that may come up for purchase.

Re: Alan Lomax Irish Archives

Post by elderj »

What a great link. I had no idea Lomax also collected Irish tunes. The lullaby sung by Elizabeth Cronin (in the "Irish Archive" within the link) is especially beautiful. Her simple, direct way of singing goes right to the heart. Thanks so much for introducing this resource!
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Alan Lomax Irish Archives

Post by benhall.1 »

elderj wrote:What a great link. I had no idea Lomax also collected Irish tunes. The lullaby sung by Elizabeth Cronin (in the "Irish Archive" within the link) is especially beautiful. Her simple, direct way of singing goes right to the heart. Thanks so much for introducing this resource!
Yes it's beautiful, isn't it? I think it's deceptively simple. There is a very great deal of ornamentation in there that's very finely and precisely done. Quite complex stuff when you listen closely. And yet she manages to convey an impression of something simple. It's subtle, beautiful stuff.