The Truckley Howl

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Brus
antispam: No

The Truckley Howl

Post by Brus »

OK, there's a new Irish trad band by this name, which I will probably be seeing St. Patrick's Eve at a house concert.

Their facebook page says their name comes from something Seamus Ennis said. A bit of googling turned up this:

http://joefago.com/The_Truckley_Howl.html

“You know, there’s an awful lot to be said about this Irish traditional folk music and folklore. Because first of all, you have to learn it. And first you must learn the talk. And then you must learn the grip. And after that, you must learn the truckly-howl. And then you have the whole lot, only just to keep on practicing it.

Because, um, Seamus Ennis knows far more about this than even the old folklore-di-lordies themselves. Because Seamus Ennis once met a little leprechauny truckly-howl at the bottom of the garden gluth, and up the garden path which came up from that, in the limeretty limeretty hill-hockles, before the earthien throne, before the leprechaun era, and long before the Argy-fargy. And that was in the deep ’pon doom, before the Emerald Isle was ever dropped plop! plop! in the water.”

I must be dense. What exactly is the "truckl(e)y howl"?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: The Truckley Howl

Post by benhall.1 »

I think it is supposed to be the "truckly-how". Does that help?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I think it is supposed to be the "truckly-how".
That is the standard rendering.

Good thing Ennis isn't here to clarify, because you just know he'd give us a heap of encrustments and convoluting wham-bams.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

It's the second track of this. https://thesession.org/recordings/474

I hear it clearly as "you must learn the truckly-howell" but then "a little leprechauny truckly-how"

Are the other odd sounding words from anything in the Irish or are they, as I had assumed, made up?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

A lot is pretty much made up and/or mashed together, like "leprashoneen" (or "leprechauny", as you have it). And that's from the Irish, so there you get it all. There are some English words that look totally made up. I have no clue what hillhockers (or "hill-hockles", as you have it) could possibly be. "Argay" (or "argy", as you have it) is about as made-up as it gets, being neither Irish-ish nor English-ish that I can tell.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Audio transcriptions of what is essentially gibberish will necessarily see some variation. Here's how Ciarán Carson transcribed it for Last Night's Fun, ca. 1998:

You know, there's an awful lot to be said
for this Irish traditional
folk music and folklore, because
first of all
you have to learn it
and first you must learn the Talk
and then you must learn the Grip
and after that you must learn the Truckly-How
and then
you have the whole lot
only just to keep practicing it.

Because
Séamus Ennis knows far more about this
than even the old Folk Lordy-Lordy themselves.
Because Séamus Ennis
once met a little Leprashoneen Truckly-How
at the bottom of the Garden Doth and up the Garden Path
which came up from that,
in the Limeretti-Lumeretti Hillhockers,
before the Earthian Throe,
before the Leprashonerian -
long before the Argay Foray -
and that was in the Deep Pond Doom
before the Emerald Isle was dropped . . .
in the water.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nano, close but no cigar. What happened to
the pop-pop vocalizations before in the water.
Oh, the humanity! :D
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm afraid you'll have to take that up with Ciarán Carson. Considering the distinctly poemish layout, I expect there was some artistic license involved. After all, that's what I invoke when my work is challenged. :wink:

Are there other recordings available? I realise that two have been linked in this thread, but the one at the Session is unclickable for me for some reason, and the other requires me to install a plugin, and I'm not exactly enthused about that. I know I've heard the basic recording before, but I can't seem to locate other sources now. Elusive, it is.

I've seen at least one transcription where it was rendered, "...first you must learn the Tok." Make of that what you will.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

For the flavour of it the middle part is here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SFIQ7Q

The one on joefago.com has had bar-room chat background noises added (it's 'only' the Quicktime plugin). Though it is probably clearer than the well-played cassette from well-played vinyl borrowed from a public library that I have. Has reverb been added to the one on Amazon?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote:The one on joefago.com has had bar-room chat background noises added (it's 'only' the Quicktime plugin). Though it is probably clearer than the well-played cassette from well-played vinyl borrowed from a public library that I have. Has reverb been added to the one on Amazon?
Geez. Reverb and tacked-on bar chat. So much for the Pure Drop.

Oleorezinator: When you see Carson to ask him about the missing vocalisations, while you're at it you also might as well ask him why he additionally omitted the "ever" between "was" and "dropped". Knowing this, the line reads as if all of a sudden he was in some kind of hurry. :wink:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:It's the second track of this. https://thesession.org/recordings/474

I hear it clearly as "you must learn the truckly-howell" but then "a little leprechauny truckly-how"

Are the other odd sounding words from anything in the Irish or are they, as I had assumed, made up?
I've just listened to it again, and I hear it clearly as "truckly-how" with no 'L' sound on the end. He lingers on the last syllable but there's clearly no 'L' to my ears. I'm listening to what I think is the original version, culled some time ago from Lord knows where, which starts with pipes and has no added reverb or bar-room chat. Clear as day to me.

Of course, I can't be the only one who hears it like this, since by far and away the most common rendition is "truckly-how", particularly from Irish sources.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:I've just listened to it again, and I hear it clearly as "truckly-how" with no 'L' sound on the end. He lingers on the last syllable but there's clearly no 'L' to my ears. I'm listening to what I think is the original version, culled some time ago from Lord knows where, which starts with pipes and has no added reverb or bar-room chat. Clear as day to me.
Without hearing the exact recording he refers to I can't be sure, but I lay odds that the tacked-on background noise would account for any phantom consonants.

Background pub noise, fergodsakes. If that's an attempt at boosting "cultural authenticity", it's as trite and one-dimensional as it was patently unnecessary. The original recording would have taken place in someone's kitchen, more likely. If it's authenticity you want, Ennis stands on his own just fine without any such "help", thank you.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll go find something else to gripe about.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:The original recording would have taken place in someone's kitchen, more likely.
I don't actually know, but I bet it wasn't. Some swanky recording studio at the BBC, I reckon.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:The original recording would have taken place in someone's kitchen, more likely.
I don't actually know, but I bet it wasn't. Some swanky recording studio at the BBC, I reckon.
Seriously? My whole day is shot now. Screw it. I'm gonna watch some reality TV to dull the pain.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
Seriously? My whole day is shot now. Screw it. I'm gonna watch some reality TV to dull the pain.
Well, that's who was paying him at the time.