Ennis Tradfest 2015

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Ennis Tradfest 2015

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on this, both here on the C&F Boards and elsewhere.

The 2015 Tradfest in Ennis was held from 5th November 2015 to 10th November 2015. I was there, I'm delighted to say. People who have been going for years have said that it was the best ever, and I can believe it. It was one of the best trad festivals I've ever attended. Apparently, according to publicans, musicians and others that I talked to at the event, there were about twice the number of musicians there this year as last year. People were there from all over the world, and the local musicians seemed to be out in force as well.

I won't give a whole review on the thing - only to say that it was brilliant - but I'd be interested to hear anybody's stories from the weekend. Or any comments at all about the event, in fact.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Ennis Tradfest 2015

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It is a bit of a low key event, isn't it? You can easily go into Ennis while it's on and not have any sense whatsoever there is anything going on. At least that was my impression in previous years and it wasn't any different when I was in town last week.

I had half a mind of going to Tony Smith's launch in the Old Ground on sunday but sort of forgot about it on the day.
My brain hurts

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Ennis Tradfest 2015

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:It is a bit of a low key event, isn't it? You can easily go into Ennis while it's on and not have any sense whatsoever there is anything going on. At least that was my impression in previous years and it wasn't any different when I was in town last week.

I had half a mind of going to Tony Smith's launch in the Old Ground on sunday but sort of forgot about it on the day.
I think from about 12:00 noon onwards last weekend, from Friday on, you'd have been hard put to go into Ennis and not realise something was going on. The streets were heaving with people carrying instruments, the pubs were all packed and there was music coming seemingly out of every pub and every doorway. The only place that I found which was a bit quieter was Custy's music shop, for some reason. Nice, friendly place that is, too, though. Oh, and I had a fantastic, quiet session in Faffa's on the Monday night. I was there quite by chance, because I had wandered around the entire town and not been able even to get in the door anywhere else. A well worth while session though, with six of us and some truly exceptional music produced.

I didn't go to Tony Smith's launch, although I was in The Old Ground all evening - first in the front, which got completely jammed with people and was a great session, and later in the back with some great musicians down from Belfast.

BTW, I don't have experience of the Ennis Tradfest from previous years, although I suspect in latter years, at least from what I've heard from people, you would have been right in your assessment of it as a "low key event". I wouldn't describe it as that this year though. It was epic. Long may it continue!