bodhran playing clip

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

bodhran playing clip

Post by mahanpots »

I'm going to take a chance here and share a clip of my on flute and bodhran. Definitely not my best playing on the drum, but I figure it might uncover my shortcomings and inspire someone who has more experience than I do to possibly suggest some specific changes in my playing. Of course, I suppose I open myself up the another possiblity, that of someone suggesting I stick with the flute and leave the drumming to the drummers.

Anyway, here it is:

Lansdowne Lass with drum

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

Very nice. Stick with it. :thumbsup:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

That is pretty nice...good variation, and not seems fairly subtle (although one can't judge the volume balance on a multitracked recording like this). You clearly have the flow of the tune in your drumming, it's a great advantage to know the tune well (some percussionists don't).

You do wander away from the beat a bit with the drum, generally a bit ahead of the beat. It sounds like you're playing tense, as if you're at the edge of your abilities, or maybe just nervous. Try playing something so simple and subtle it feels like it's too easy, and see how that comes across in a recording.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Hey, not a bad start at all, Michael. I actually think that learning to play bodhrán and/or guitar rhythm can help to develop one's sense of phrasing and melodic lift on flute, whistle, etc.

You might want to try: a) Skipping the triplets for now, and concentrate on a nice steady beat; b) Leaving a little more breathing room in the bodhrán line, and follow the melodic phrasing a bit more closely.

My impression is that the top end stick style is becoming more and more popular nowadays. You might want to give that a try, too.

Enjoy!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi mahanpots

MTguru got in with what would be my first comment - rein in on the triplets.

Second - you came in at the wrong time - if you are not starting at the same time, leave 2 bars before you come in on the drum.

Your drum is pitched for accompanying a singer rather than a flute, if it is tunable, tighten the skin to get it to a higher pitch - if possible tune it to your flute. A slightly tighter skin will let you control the drum's tones better

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not sure what MTGuru means by trying the top end of the stick. You mean use the top end of the stick for the main beating of the drum, holding the stick in the same way? Changing the way you hold the stick?

BigDavy mentions a few suggestions. I'll try those. Listening to my playing, I did get the sense there were too many triplets. As far as tuning to my flute, you mean tune to my D note?

I appreciate everything shared,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Michael

To answer your question about top end style - here is a nice example - Martin O'Neil http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0WC1r-yDvLQ

I tend to tune my drum by ear now - but for working with a flute I would tune the drum to an octave below the first octave G or A note of the flute and use my left hand to control the pitch while playing.

What type of drum are you playing, the type and construction of your drum can affect the appropriate playing style and suitable pitches.

David
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Hi David,

I've got an 18" x about 4" double-headed drum from Mid-East whatever they're called that I've been playing recently. I've also got an old one from them that has a single head. Both are tuneable.

I'll have to look at that video closer a little later.

Thanks,

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Here's a good description of top end style with a tutorial:
http://www.bodojo.com/top_end.html

And here's John Joe Kelly playing top end, with a good view of the stick:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wntaX0EafFs

BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi MTguru

Sorry to disagree here, but JohnJoe Kelly plays in a mixed style rather than purely top end.

Michael, is this the type of drum you used?

If so then top end playing might be a bit more difficult than if you had a 16" or smaller deep rim drum (which are more suited to this style of play).

Disregard my comments re tuning to G or A - it could be done with your drum, but I think that you would not like the sound that it would make.

As a test, try tightening the drum just a little more and record it to somebody singing, rather than your flute, and compare the mix with the flute bodhran duet. If you do not prefer that mix I will be surprised.

David
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

BigDavy wrote:Sorry to disagree here, but JohnJoe Kelly plays in a mixed style rather than purely top end.
I'm more than happy to stand corrected, David. :-)

mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

BigDavy,

That looks like my drum, yes.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

bodhran playing

Post by deisman »

Hi Michael,

Nice job accompanying yourself. I'll trade you some bodhran Naayh for some flute Naayh... deal? : )

My 2 cents is keep on practicing and remember to use the drums ability to change pitch - there's a lot more tones available to you than you are using. I love playing the bodhran because it's like a whole drum kit in one drum. just as long as you are supporting the tune and helping drive the flow in an appropriate manner you can get away with a lot of variety in your playing without becoming the guy the other players want to shoot.. ;0 I enjoyed your post.

Deisman
I'm on it...
O’Sluagahadain

Post by O’Sluagahadain »

Enjoyed the recording. Keep up the good work!
Play On!

(¯¯[)¯¯¯¯¯((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)
_________________ O'Sluagahadain ___
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi MTGuru

Came across this nice example of top end playing so here it is for your perusal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzGgryyGfw