Trad album in vinyl?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Trad album in vinyl?

Post by Thomaston »

Hey all, I recently bought a record player and have been slowly building up my collection. Mostly Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, stuff like that so far. But I want to add some ITM to the mix. Googling around it doesn’t seem too many modern artists and bands are releasing in this format.
If anyone has records gathering dust that you’d be willing to part with shoot me a PM. Specifically instumental stuff, I’m not as interested in the stuff with a lot of singing. I’d especially be interested in albums from the greats, like Molloy and Burke.
Amazon has a few LPs I’d be interested in, but I figured I’d check here first and see if anyone has anything good they’d be willing to part with.
Thanks!
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Trad album in vinyl?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There are several by the Gloaming They sell new on ebay, for example : Live at National Concert Hall and this one. But there are a few (and I say Few) others as well, not necessarily a lot of Traditional music but Sharon Shannon and bands like Kila have vinyl discs knocking around.

Plenty of second hand/vintage ones, good ones too, on ebay. Downside is : ebay changed their classification system so you can no longer search for Irish folk/traditional but have to go Folk>celtic and you have to wade through endless stuff you may may may not be interested in (I have given up on it for that reason).
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Still have my records that I bought new in the 70's; Ennis, Rowsome, Planxty, Seán Ó Riada, Éamon de Buitléar, Chieftains, etc., even some Horslips. I don't currently have a turntable to play them on, but would be loath to part with them just for sentimental reasons, and in some cases the cover art work.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

An Draighean wrote:Still have my records that I bought new in the 70's; Ennis, Rowsome, Planxty, Seán Ó Riada, Éamon de Buitléar, Chieftains, etc., even some Horslips. I don't currently have a turntable to play them on, but would be loath to part with them just for sentimental reasons, and in some cases the cover art work.
I can understand that sentiment!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There are several by the Gloaming They sell new on ebay, for example : Live at National Concert Hall and this one. But there are a few (and I say Few) others as well, not necessarily a lot of Traditional music but Sharon Shannon and bands like Kila have vinyl discs knocking around.

Plenty of second hand/vintage ones, good ones too, on ebay. Downside is : ebay changed their classification system so you can no longer search for Irish folk/traditional but have to go Folk>celtic and you have to wade through endless stuff you may may may not be interested in (I have given up on it for that reason).
I’ve actually managed to avoid taking the plunge into eBay. Maybe, after all these years, it’s time to bite the bullet.
Fildafluter
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Post by Fildafluter »

Have a pile of those, one real rare, LP "Jigs & Reels" Michael Coleman ( 1940s ) Ace of Hearts. But as above I would have to get a big heap of money to think about parting with such.

There is s a FB group into old Irish discs, mostly 78s, where you might find a few for reasonable money.

Good luck.
Last edited by Fildafluter on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Maybe, after all these years, it’s time to bite the bullet.
I suppose you can get the new ones I mentioned elsewhere, there is no real incentive to get them on ebay (although you may want to compare prices and see what works out best). As I said, ebay has become less attractive for second hand lps, they have made finding them harder and prices of postage have become prohibitive in a lot of cases. Still, you can occasionally find the odd rare one for a good price with a bit of patience and there are still sellers who don't use ebay's global shipping program.

There are other sources of second hand lps, collectors websites vinyltap, offthrecord and places like that but some of those can ask silly prices, having their pricing done by algorithm.

one real rare, LP "Jigs & Reels" Michael Coleman ( 1940s ) Ace of Hearts. But as above it would have to get a big heap of money tothink about parting with such.
Unfortunately, sentimental value doesn't often translate into monetary value. That one comes up on ebay every now and again and, if it gets sold, usually goes for under a tenner. Some (but not all) of his 78rpms are rare and sought after, reissues of them not so much.
My brain hurts

Fildafluter
Tell us something.: Learning the Irish flute, asking questions about it, reading topics related to wind instruments. What is the best Tin Whistle, that sort of thing.

Post by Fildafluter »

one real rare, LP "Jigs & Reels" Michael Coleman ( 1940s ) Ace of Hearts. But as above it would have to get a big heap of money tothink about parting with such.

Unfortunately, sentimental value doesn't often translate into monetary value. That one comes up on ebay every now and again and, if it gets sold, usually goes for under a tenner. Some (but not all) of his 78rpms are rare and sought after, reissues of them not so much.
In this case the value isn't what some Ebay knacker decides, but its rarity having several before unpublished tracks, that's why I am not bothered about selling.. lol If you can find rare Coleman stuff for next to nothing, buy it! I would.
"The more you weigh the harder you are to kidnap,
be safe, eat more ice-cream"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1298297360297681/
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you can find rare Coleman stuff for next to nothing
A good while ago a couple in the next town over briefly opened an antique shop. When I went in to have a peak I found a box full of 78 rpms, most of them traditional. Obviously an attic clearance of a local musician. They a £3 of four for a tenner (it was just pre euro). I couldn't afford all that much but I managed to get away with a bunch of Killorans and Colemans, some of the 'big' ones too, Lord Gordon, Tarbolton etc.

I usually take them when I find them at a reasonable price but I have the 1992 Viva Voce double CD with remastered material, the Shanchie lps and dubs of most 78 rpms plus a bunch of non commercial acetate and glass broadcast discs. But it's been a while since I visited Coleman's music, I admit.
My brain hurts