What would you do if this walked into your session?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: What would you do if this walked into your session?

Post by tommykleen »

I am not sure the wise, one back-up player/one bodhran rule will catch on, but it's a great idea. And fair play to you Nano.

I will probably lay off the regs (as solo instrument in sessions :D) for a while. I just get so tired of some of the same old tunes, knowdamean? Some of them I just can't play anymore...like the inability to detect a smell when you have been immersed in it for too long (Old Factory Overload I think they call it :wink: ). Too bad: these can be great tunes (and old piping classics at that), more enjoyable outside the session setting for me. 'Don't like 'em rammed through the breech doncha know.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

tommykleen wrote:I am not sure the wise, one back-up player/one bodhran rule will catch on, but it's a great idea. And fair play to you Nano.
I remain a voice crying in the wilderness. I will nag. And I shall not go hoarse. What's good for the drummer is good for the clanger, sez I.

It's not only to reduce the cacophony of backer-uppers all doing different things at different rhythms, but also, how can any of us learn and steal new material - not to mention be able to note what NOT to do - if we can't hear what a player's doing amid the mishmash? This is strictly practical on all levels.
tommykleen wrote:I will probably lay off the regs (as solo instrument in sessions :D) for a while.
You of all people I would never begrudge. Regs are cool, because they're not just another set of "tuneable spoons". They're like little voices, crooning. Which reminds me that I've been meaning to ask: have you, like Paganini, made a pact with Old Scratch to have living souls imprisoned in your regulators? Because some days they sound uncannily human, you know.
tommykleen wrote:I just get so tired of some of the same old tunes, knowdamean? Some of them I just can't play anymore...like the inability to detect a smell when you have been immersed in it for too long (Old Factory Overload I think they call it :wink: ). Too bad: these can be great tunes (and old piping classics at that), more enjoyable outside the session setting for me. 'Don't like 'em rammed through the breech doncha know.
I fully sympathise. That's why my favorite sessions are the small ones. More nuance. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Back on topic...

Nice picking there, iriSHred. You would fold into a session just fine with an acoustic guitar as has been suggested. My own taste runs to more fretboard ornaments (less all-picking/all the time). Just my observations.

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

Maybe add amplified and distorted spoons? :D
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
Cash the Piper

Post by Cash the Piper »

Only if you want to chance a good, savage, and fatal beating. :D :thumbsup:
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

amplified and distorted spoons:

[size=200]ospons[i][b][/b][/i][/size]

well that didn't work did it
Denny

Post by Denny »

nope...ya need to get the starts in front....size is okay, italic and bold are not....
bensdad wrote:amplified and distorted spoons:

ospons

well that didn't work did it
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

iriSHred wrote:
and turn it into this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIHar8yDso

I've learned quite a few other tunes in a similar fashion.

What do you think? Good? Bad? Ugly? I'd like some honest feedback. Thanks!
I really like this. I've said for ages that fast reels etc are very similar to metal lead guitar in style and technique and I tried learning some tunes to play on the guitar until I remembered that I get really bored learning tunes.

It makes me wonder what the reverse would be like. I know Apocalyptica started off doing Metallica covers on cellos so I wonder what they'd sound like on a fiddle?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

We generally only have two bodhranistas max at our sessions but they're pretty considerate. If one plays the drum, the other plays the bones. We're blessed with considerate guitarlike folk as well; I guess there's a good side to living on the back side of the Irish music moon. :-)

But I see nothing wrong with diplomatically asking players to take turns if it gets too raucous. Someone's usually ready to go get a pint or have a smoke or something anyway. By the same token, if a guitar or bouzouki player takes the initiative to learn to pick an entire tune, I try to support that any way I can (sometimes by not playing). I like to think respect breeds respect, ya know?

Do they make guitar mutes like they do for fiddles? People could take turns muting themselves so they could still play along and try to figure out the chords.

I love T's reg playing. :party: It's like listening to Victorian parlor music. BTW, nice piece in An Piobaire, sir!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cathy Wilde wrote:We generally only have two bodhranistas max at our sessions but they're pretty considerate. If one plays the drum, the other plays the bones.
So you were mentioning how they're considerate. I'd like to hear more on that. :wink:
Cathy Wilde wrote:Do they make guitar mutes like they do for fiddles?

I would've thought the same one that is good for banjos would do:

Cathy Wilde wrote:People could take turns muting themselves so they could still play along and try to figure out the chords.
Actually, that would be a great idea. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:We generally only have two bodhranistas max at our sessions but they're pretty considerate. If one plays the drum, the other plays the bones.
So you were mentioning how they're considerate. I'd like to hear more on that. :wink:
:lol: good one! :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
chris_coreline

Post by chris_coreline »

Nanohedron wrote:And not a bad introduction at all.

But just to let you know that if you show up at our sesh with that axe, we'll firmly insist you put it back in the case and then we'll usher you to the bar and sit you on a stool. :wink:
just FYI iriSHred, if you turn up to one of OUR sessions with that axe; we will find an amp for it.
iriSHred

Post by iriSHred »

Hello again folks!

It's been a while since I've posted on the boards but I figured I'd kick off my first new post right here where I started posting.

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your kind words and advice in this thread. I've been working a lot on my playing recently and I'm happy to say I've discovered the wonderful world of unplugged guitar playing :D

I've done some more recordings lately and I figured I'd throw them up here for some commentary. Any input would be appreciated!

http://www.reverbnation.com/danjalonski

Cheers!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hey, you were at the Northeast Tionol! Nice piping, too :-)

I only got to hear a couple of tunes on your page before I had to go do something else but I'll visit again. Meanwhile, I like the sustain thing you did on the Lark in the Morning; that added a nice rhythmic underscore. Seems to me the trick with an instrument that's sort of "tonally even" like a guitar is to find ways to keep a tune from being a cascade of notes. That held-note thing you're doing creates kind of a buzzy drone and ... do they call it 'hemiola?' (cant' remember) ... that seems like a good tool for your arsenal. Anyway, sounds grand. Rock on!
highwood

Post by highwood »

hemiola - I know as being a 3:2 rhythm thing,
for example:
in 6/8 three quarter notes instead of 2 dotted quarters
or
two bars of 3/4 played as 1 2, 1 2, 1 2 (instead of 1 2 3, 1 2 3 )

wikipedia has a page about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemiola - I was not aware of the use of the term in relation to harmony, learn something new every day - even if it is the last one !!! ( see this thread - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=91386 )
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot