News Update 12/2/02 The Flogging Reel, Humours of Tullycrine

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

12/2/02 Teri back on her "old beat up C" playing The Flogging Reel. And I finally got around to recording, myself. The Humours of Tullycrine, I got from Calan Bridge by the Valleleys. It's played as a slow reel. (Note: I recorded on a Sony minidisc player with an old condensor mic and transferred via analog line in to sound card. Undiscernable loss of sound reproduction, as far as I can tell (which is what qualifies it as undiscernable -or is it indiscernable?)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to you play The Humours of Tullycrine on your Reyburn low D Tony, thanks for posting it.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

And thank you for letting me know you enjoyed it. :smile: The challenge for me with this one is to work out some phrasing. This has been a long range project for me and I recognize I still have a ways to go. I make very little distinction between ornamentation and phrasing. They support each other totally. I'm happier w/ the phrasing I worked out on this tune than I've been with my past efforts at posts, but I'm still critiquing and trying to figure out how to improve on it. The tune itself is an easy one to play. I'd say this is where native players have an edge on us outsiders. Hearing and innately knowing how to phrase properly from constant exposure would make this job a whole lot easier. I've been listening to recordings for years and I hear what's going on, but implementing the concept is no joke. :smile:
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

On 2002-12-02 21:08, TonyHiggins wrote:
Undiscernable loss of sound reproduction, as far as I can tell (which is what qualifies it as undiscernable -or is it indiscernable?)
Tony, nice piece, good job. The tune is a hornpipe beloved of the older Clare players. I heard Michael Tubridy saying it was part of the small local repertoire of tunes used for dancing where he grew up.

As for your English question, according to my dictionary "discernable" is a rare variant spelling of the usual "discernible". But I'd be tempted to write "there is no discernible loss of reproduction quality." Saying that there _is_ an undiscernible something seems an odd way of going about it, don't you think - a bit like "staying away in droves."

Your resident pedant,
S
TomB

Post by TomB »

Great Job!!! I really like your rendition here. Thanks.

All the Best, Tom
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I thought I read hornpipe on the liner notes, but I didn't look carefully when I was posting. The Vallely's certainly didn't play it as one. (In my head, it sounds a bit goofy as a hornpipe.)

Steve, thank you for deobfuscating my grammatical faux pax. I'm always desirous of clarity irregardless of the topic. I've always liked the phrase 'stayed away in droves,' however. I also like the admonition, "Follow me, I'm right behind you."
Tony
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Tony check msgs. I sent a tyune.