News Update 11/19/02 The Warrior's Maid, The Poachers, Whitt

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

11/19/02 Geoff Walker writes, "The Warriors Maid" is the air for a song I wrote (my one and only) and is played on a Yamaha plastic alto recorder, with an accompaniment which I created using a Yamaha MU15 Midi synethesiser.
"The Poachers" is a Scottish song - or it could be English, I have two virtually identical versions of the words, one has the Poachers of the title based in Glasgow, the other has them based in Nottingham. The tune again could be English or Scottish, as I am sure I have heard it used for an English Folk song but I can't remember which now. I have played it on a Mollenhauer alto dreamflute which is an alto recorder with a largish bore and larger than normal tone holes which gives it more power than a normal recorder. It also has a excellent sound which I think suits the song.
"Whittingham Green Lane" is an air from Northumberland and is normally played on the Northumbrian pipes. I have played it on the soprano version of the dreamflute."
(I wonder if there is any connection between The Poachers and The Star of the County Down?) The three tune links go to Geoff's page.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”