News Update 8/18/01

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

8/18/01 Two tunes while I have access to the computer. heh, heh.
Lament for Limerick, a slow air, on my brand new Burke low G, and a jig, name unknown. Tony Higgins
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Clive

Post by Clive »

.....and a jig, name unknown.
Hi Tony. It's "The Gallowglass Jig". Your version BTW has what I would describe as a few of the corners knocked off. :smile:
ErikT
antispam: No

Post by ErikT »

Hi Tony,

Nice image at the top of the News Page :smile:

Erik
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Clive,
Thanks for the tip on the tune title. Now, what's this about corners being knocked off? It's the only version I've ever heard (on Chieftains5). Is there more to it? Or, what do you mean???
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hi Tony,

Corners knocked off? I guess it's a diplomatic way of saying I don't think it's the most interesting setting of that tune I've heard.

You may remember a discussion on the old board about Ed Reavy's tunes. Someone observed that some of the more unusual melodic figures in the tunes as he wrote them tend to get replaced by easier passages as they pass into tradition. This is "getting the corners knocked off".

The Gallowglass jig strikes me as an unusual tune, quite unlike most traditional jigs in its melodic structure - to me it bears the stamp of composition by someone who had knowledge of music outside the tradition. And some of its more unusual passages, especially the final descending run, have not survived intact in your version.

Dammit I'll stop beating about the bush: maybe you're not remembering it quite the way the Chieftains played it! :grin:

- "Clive"