Delay on record and playback.

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Delay on record and playback.

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I have been using Sonar 1.0 for years and have had no problems until now. I have not altered any of my settings or defaults but now when I play and record into Sonar I get a slight delay of about the time it takes you to say 'one one', the second 'one' is the first catching up, if you know what I mean?
Anyone know how to fix this problem? I have tried the help option in Sonar with no success.
I don't know if this will help, but here is my set up, which has worked fine until now.
I have two Shure SM57 mic's running into an AKAI stereo tape deck, which in turn runs into my computers sound card line in. I am running Realtek AC97. My line out goes to a 100watt AKAI amplifier running 100watt speakers.
I'm puzzled :boggle:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

This should probably be in the ITM forum or the Pub, but what the heck.

These are complete stabs in the dark:

o Does your computer's sound card / control panel include any effects? Make sure they're off. My SoundBlaster card includes various built-in delays and effects (reverb, chorus, etc.), independent of any recording program. And it's easy enough to turn or leave them on accidentally when I'm playing around with the settings.

o Does your card / panel have a loopback option? On mine it's called "What U Hear", and it feeds the card output back into the card input. With certain programs, the result can be an echo or even a runaway feedback loop. And a lag of 0.5-1.0 seconds could be the processing latency time. So make sure your loopback is off, and let the recording program handle the sound on sound duplexing.

Sorry if neither of those suggestions helps. Good luck with the problem!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

No luck with what you suggested MT, no effects left on, no loopback problems either. I am just stumped as to why this has happened out of the blue. :boggle: AAGGGGGHHH!
BTW, I thought about posting on the ITM forum, but reasoned that the folk who post tunes would be the very people who would know about recording problems and glitches. :wink:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!