07/26/06 Loads of tunes

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

07/26/06 Loads of tunes

Post by TonyHiggins »

07/26/06 Sorry for the hold up on getting tunes posted. My cable internet service has been a disaster lately. Tony.

Mark Feeny writes, "this is one of my favourite tunes at the moment, the 4th part is particularly interesting. (Monaghan Jig) I've used my new Generation Bb. (Thanks Mitch, He went through a whole box to find me a beauty) ' I lost the lovely old battered one I used on Jug of Punch 1-7-05. Regards Mark Feeney (NSW Australia)"

Geoff Walker writes, "Here are three tunes from Scotland. The Arran Boat is a slow air which I found in Kerr's Merrie Melodies. The Isle of Arran in this case is the one off the Clyde Estuary not the one off the West of Ireland. I learned Loch Ruan from Alistair Anderson at a Workshop last year. Alistair said that common practice in Northumberland is to play it through without repeats which is what I have done on the recording, playing the whole tune through twice but with no repeats of the A and B sections. (saved in misc) Burning of the Piper's Hut is supposed to refer to the suppression of the Highland Clans after Culloden. I learned it from a very fine flute player who was at the time a student on the folk music degree at Newcastle University, UK. All three tunes are played on a maple wood Mollenhauer "Dream" soprano recorder." (all saved in non-whistle)

Michael Boling sends Frere Jacques was on a Dixon low D (saved in misc) The South Wind was also on a Dixon low D (saved in slow airs) And The Road to Lisdoonvarna (saved in non-w) was on an Anglo-Concertina (I have no idea what brand it is) Comments: I suppose I cheated a bit on Frere Jacques as I used my computer to do a little looping to make the rounds sound better, but hey, whats the use in having technology and not using it?"

Joseph Smith writes, "I haven't played or sung this song in almost 20 years. It is a most special piece to me as it is a work in which I swore to my bride that I would write (add) a new verse for every year we spend together. The last verse in this version (apart from the recapitulation of the first verse at the very end) is the first of my original additions. The rest of my original verses will never be in the public domain, and will follow us (my beautiful bride and I) to our "ever after'." (The Water is Wide) (saved in non-w)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Re: 07/26/06 Loads of tunes

Post by khl »

TonyHiggins wrote:
Joseph Smith writes, "I haven't played or sung this song in almost 20 years. It is a most special piece to me as it is a work in which I swore to my bride that I would write (add) a new verse for every year we spend together. The last verse in this version (apart from the recapitulation of the first verse at the very end) is the first of my original additions. The rest of my original verses will never be in the public domain, and will follow us (my beautiful bride and I) to our "ever after'." (The Water is Wide) (saved in non-w)
Joseph's rendition of "The Water is Wide" is moving and beautiful. Thanks for posting this. If you haven't yet, give it a listen.
Keith
carrie

Re: 07/26/06 Loads of tunes

Post by carrie »

khl wrote: Joseph's rendition of "The Water is Wide" is moving and beautiful. Thanks for posting this. If you haven't yet, give it a listen.
Keith, I agree completely--just came across it. What a heartfelt and intense performance. Beautiful.

Carol