04/30/06 Roslyn Castle

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

04/30/06 Roslyn Castle

Post by TonyHiggins »

04/30/06 Tony Higgins redoes the Scottish 'slow' reel, Roslyn Castle (and deletes a previous version). Hopefully, this one's an improvement. Chieftain low d.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Is it my imagination Tony, or did you finally start substituting those Eb's for E's, where they belong? :poke: :P

Loren
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I thought they were d sharps. But, no, Loren, it wasn't your imagination. I originally heard the tune on an Alistair Frasier cd, then learned it from an abc off JC's Tunefinder, where I was betrayed by some buffoon. Later, I went back to Frasier's rendition to soak up the rhythmic flavor, which mine was (and still is) sorely lacking, and noticed incidentally that there were those d sharps (which you call e flats, but I digress). I would point out that half-holing the bottom hole on a Chieftain low d without making it buzz is no mean feat.

I'm also working on Miss Gordon of Gight, by the way, (the tune, not the lady), which Frasier plays after Roslyn Castle. It goes outside the range of a whistle and I hate going to a 3rd octave d. Too shrill or too loud or undependable, depending upon which whistle I use. I'm thinking of sticking to the lower octave for part b. Anyone else tackled this dilemma?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Glad you finally saw the light on Rosyln Castle Tony, the E's in those two previous renditions you had up almost....... almost....... made me break my self imposed ban on posting clips myself :lol:

Rosyl has been one of my favorite slow tunes, ever since hearing Rory Campbell play it on an OBD CD 6 or so years ago. I too learned it originally from an ABC, but I do recall running across several versions (first) which were played with those horrible E notes in place of the Eb's. It obviously didn't sound "right" to me, so I kept searching and did find an ABC version somewhere that had the Eb's, and I learned it that way from the start.

I'm assuming that those who transcribed the other versions simply didn't want to deal with the half holing issue, or is it possible the tune was originally written/played without the Eb's? That doesn't sound right to me, but who knows? Anyone?

I can't comment on the other tune, as I don't know it. I might have to try to hunt down the recording you speak of, in order to give the set a listen, since I've often thought it would be nice to follow Roslyn with something.

With regards to the third octave d note, you know what I'm going to say right? Get a flute! :twisted:

Loren