4/01/06 SprtPaddy,LarkInAm,QueenRushes,Mulhair's,CastletownC

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

4/01/06 SprtPaddy,LarkInAm,QueenRushes,Mulhair's,CastletownC

Post by TonyHiggins »

04/01/06 Welcome to Frederik Meesters, who sends a jig and a reel, Sporting Paddy.

Philip Khripkov sends, " Here's another Lark in the Morning jig - I know there's been too many - but it's just so fun to play :) Susato Low D. It sounds much better with accompanying chords for certain." He also sends a jig, Queen of the Rushes.

Sean Dillon sends, "Declan playing at a fleadh last summer." Untitled reel. ...Untitled reel 2. (saved in u-pipes)

Brett Pfingston writes, "They are two jigs I was calling Mulhair's and Castletown Connors, but recently I saw the second of the two goes by both those names, so now I'm not sure what the first one is..."

An update on the Tenortrope: Jeff writes, "It has the same scale and tuning as a tenor banjo, but wackier. I played it with my fingernails to give it a bit of an Eastern sound." photos here: http://www.notecannons.com/cliff_edward ... trope.html
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The first Dillon tune is a hornpipe - Alexander's Hornpipe. Some very nice playing. Excellent tight triplets.

The second tune is a reed called Hand me down the tackle.
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

And he was .... what? 12, maybe 13 at the time?

Awesome. :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Sean Dillon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete
Last edited by Sean Dillon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Sean,

About a year ago, I emailed you about a chanter you had made which was being sold by someone. It was made of a fruit wood (plum?). Sadly, I was out-bid by some "ne'er do well" in California, but I recall that in your reply to me, you mentioned that your son played the "twin" of that chanter. Is that the chanter we hear on the recording?
PJ
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hi, Sean! I sent you a PM. And yes, the Murray's the love of my life (next to Larry, of course ;-)) -- I've since gotten my hands on a partially-keyed boxwood of Sam's, and it's amazing how great both flutes are -- in such different ways, but your blackwood's definitely the diva of the pair!

All the best to you and your family, and congratulations to Declan. Don't ask me why, but I feel like a proud auntie or something!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Sean Dillon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sean Dillon »

Cathy, bet that boxwood flute is also a real jem also! The Boxwoods are very different in tone to the Blackwood. Sam's work is fantastic, not that I've heard all flutes that are being made. I've not heard anything any better than a Murray flute. I'm sure Larry loves that wonderful music endearing the home atmosphere. So a win, win situation :)

PJ, the chanter in the recording is a Cillian O'Briain chanter. An amazing chanter indeed, Declan wouldn't ever part with it. The recordings don't in anyway do that chanter any justic! The Partridgewood chanter was gifted to a guy in NY.

Sean
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sean Dillon wrote:Cathy, bet that boxwood flute is also a real jem also! The Boxwoods are very different in tone to the Blackwood. Sam's work is fantastic, not that I've heard all flutes that are being made. I've not heard anything any better than a Murray flute. I'm sure Larry loves that wonderful music endearing the home atmosphere. So a win, win situation :)

PJ, the chanter in the recording is a Cillian O'Briain chanter. An amazing chanter indeed, Declan wouldn't ever part with it. The recordings don't in anyway do that chanter any justic! The Partridgewood chanter was gifted to a guy in NY.

Sean
Hey, even handier -- Larry's a fiddle player, so he can drown me out! :-) Thanks so much for the lovely note; I'll write back soon, hopefully today -- meanwhile, I'm glad to hear all are well!