12/26/04 KittyComeDownFromLimerick,GreeneyedLass,Monaghan,WC

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

12/26/04 KittyComeDownFromLimerick,GreeneyedLass,Monaghan,WC

Post by TonyHiggins »

12/26/04 Tony Higgins posts one new tune and 3 redos: The new one is a slipjig, Kitty Come Down from Limerick. This was the very first Irish dance tune that caught my attention and made me decide I had to learn this kind of music. It was played by Barney McKenna of the Dubliners on banjo. I've rerecorded 3 jigs, having practiced them longer than when I first recorded them: Greeneyed Lass, Monaghan Jig, and Willie Coleman's/Up in the Air.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I really love the jig Greeneyed Lass. I learned it from your first MP3 recording of it. Now that you've redone it, Tony, there are some parts of the tune that are significantly different. I haven't been able to find sheet music for it in any of my sources. Should I relearn it according to your newer version?

Thanks for some great tunes! I really enjoy your playing.

Jennie
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Jennie wrote:I really love the jig Greeneyed Lass. I learned it from your first MP3 recording of it. Now that you've redone it, Tony, there are some parts of the tune that are significantly different. I haven't been able to find sheet music for it in any of my sources. Should I relearn it according to your newer version?

Thanks for some great tunes! I really enjoy your playing.

Jennie
Hi Jennie, Thanks. I think the only thing I did different was change to a different keyed whistle. (I think.) I deleted the first version (I think) so I can't check. I don't recall making any big changes in the playing. The ornamentation and phrasing evolves, but not drastically over time.

Oh boy, are you lucky! I flipped through my notebook and found the abc's I transcribed from the L Nugent cd, Windy Gap. Here are the basic notes:
c= cnat Fingering is for d whistle (or any whistle you pretend is a d)

EBB dBB |egf edB|
FAA dAA| dfe dBA|
EBB dBB| efg edB|
FAA def |gfe e2f:||

egg eBb| EBe gfe|
dff daa |daf gfe|
egg eBb |ebe gfe|
dff def |gfe e2f:||

efg fed |eed b3|
def edB| AAF D2F|
EBE FBF| GBG ACA|
ABB def| gfe e3:||

(See what flattery gets you?) :)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”