4/26/04 Too many to list (long titles)

No. Not about haircuts. Discussion forum for the Clips and Snips tune archive.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

4/26/04 Too many to list (long titles)

Post by TonyHiggins »

4/26/04 Welcome to Markus Asunta, from Finland, who writes, "Hi!" He continues, "Here's two sets for the flute department; Peter Flanagan's/The Gossoon that Beat his Father (per Gary Hastings) (reels), Palm Sunday - Rolling Waves (jigs) Both played on a delrin Seery flute. Then, in a second email, he writes, "Hi!" And then, he finishes with: "Here's a few sets also for the whistle side. Sean Reid's-Drunken Landlady-Glass of Beer (reels) Christy Barry's set (jigs) Both played by Markus Asunta on a Busman Olivewood D whistle."

Paul Fremantle returns with, "Here is a tune for TWT. Its called the Warblington Polka, and its short and sweet (I hope). Its recorded on a homemade aluminium high D whistle." (saved in misc)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
pizak

I forgot to mention

Post by pizak »

About the Warblington Polka:

I forgot to mention - I wrote the tune. Its my first attempt so go easy :-)

If you find its exactly the same (or very similar) to an existing tune - let me know. Its not on purpose!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Wow, this stuff from Markus Asunta is the best stuff I remember listening to on Snips, I'm not crazy about Sean Ryan's hyper tonguing style and cran-o-mania but I think the variations are amazing.

Markus, did you come up with the variations yourself?
glauber

Post by glauber »

Yow! Same opinion here, the tonguing distracts a little bit, but the feel is incredible (especially in the whistle stuff)! You should be recording CDs.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Markus

Post by Markus »

Thank you.

I pick up my variations from here and there, and yes - I must admit that I've been listening to Sean Ryan and Gavin Whelan & the rest of the tongue-twisters quite a bit. Obviously, I have a different opinion on the tonguine issue than you. :lol:

Anyways, I'm glad you liked my little samples. Hopefully one day there'll be a chance to organize our bandmembers' schedules enough to record a CD.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Markus wrote: Hopefully one day there'll be a chance to organize our bandmembers' schedules enough to record a CD.
Let us know when it happens.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I agree with Azalin - Markus Asunta posted some impressive playing. While his whislte playing has rightfully received praise, his flute playing on the reels Peter Flanagan's/The Gossoon that Beat his Father was amazing, too.

Eric
Markus

Post by Markus »

Blushing.. 8)

Thank you again.. I think my version of those flute reels is definitely in debt to Gary Hastings who recorded a tremendeous version accompanied by Ciaran Curran on the album Slán le loch Eirne.

By the way, for those of you who do not like the "hyper tonguing style and cran-o-mania" in whistling, who would you consider the best recording whistle players available for listening? So far I've been most impressed with for instance Sean Ryan and Laurence Nugent.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Hu, didnt see that post. I personally prefer to listen to stuff from Geraldine Cotter, Mike McHale, Vinnie Kilduff, etc on the whistle, and Catherine McEvoy on the flute, it's just much more musical to my ears, not rushed, lovely style, etc.

It's really a matter of taste, I never listen to Mary Bergin even if she's technically the best whistle player out there, I just don't find her style that interesting to listen to.