Amazing Grace, long version?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Amazing Grace, long version?

Post by CHasR »

oleorezinator wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:Yes I've played that modern Christian-praise-pop version with the added bridge, called Amazing Grace, My Chains Are Gone. (It's a bridge, not a variation, BTW.) The first time I heard it I threw up a little in my throat but now it's grown on me a bit.
I feel your pain. :D
I'm sorry Oleo...pain *begins* when one hears the words of "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of "Danny Boy" :devil: up until that point, it's all cake :boggle:
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

oleorezinator wrote:
ausdag wrote:Regardless of what you think of the ethics of reworking an out-of-copyright traditional song, so far it's the only suggestion that actaully addresses the OP's question, viz what did the customer mean by 'the longer version of Amazing grace'.
Ethics?
oleorezinator wrote: What a fabulous idea, steal a traditional piece
"steal" / "Not Steal" = 'ethics' :wink:
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

CHasR wrote:...pain *begins* when one hears the words of "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of "Danny Boy" :devil:
Then there was the time a drunk lady zigzagged up to the stage and asked if we knew Danny Boy, and before we could even lie that we didn't, to help us along she started singing its opening lines to the tune of O Holy Night while swinging her drink. She got stuck after "calling", scratched her head, and zigzagged her way back into the crowd. And it wasn't even Saint Paddy's.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Nano, I just LOVE showbiz :love: . Usually. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

IIRC, that was the same lady who was tired of hearing just tunes and wanted a song or two. You know the type. In reference to the tunes she said, "That Irish hip-hop is all well and good, but...".

True story. :)

I never even knew there was a "long version" of Amazing Grace until this thread.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nanohedron wrote:I never even knew there was a "long version" of Amazing Grace until this thread.
It's not longer. It just feels longer. :wink:
PJ
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote:IIRC, that was the same lady who was tired of hearing just tunes and wanted a song or two. You know the type. In reference to the tunes she said, "That Irish hip-hop is all well and good, but...".True story. :)
I once played at an awards banquet for a local
social service agency with a tenor banjo player
and a bodhran player during the cocktail hour and dinner.
The bodhran player goes to the bar for a drink and overhears
a conversation that went like this: "What kind of music are they playing?"
The answer: "I think it's Greek Music." Maybe it was.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Nanohedron wrote:True story. :).
gee, ya dont say! :lol:
Nanohedron wrote: In reference to the tunes she said, "That Irish hip-hop is all well and good, but...

darn! this gig's story just gets better + better! :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Yeah, say what you will about the headaches; you wind up with some good stories about stuff you couldn't make up, that's for sure. :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

CHasR wrote:...pain *begins* when one hears the words of "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of "Danny Boy" :devil:
Believe it or not, there is a critter akin to that out there; I've met it (and blocked the details from memory). But basically, it was "Amazing Grace" on the pipes as the intro, then the orchestra came in with an instrumental of "Danny Boy" in D, and over that there was a recitation about the Rockefeller (or someone wealthy) kids drowning in the Titanic disaster.* Then the choir dove in and sang something else entirely different but even bigger. ~ The End. ~

* Somewhere, somehow, faith came into it but it felt like the story was forced into someone's purpose and seemed like a sketchy argument to me.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Gawd. Just imagining it, I can feel my arteries hardening. :boggle:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Cathy Wilde wrote: "Amazing Grace" on the pipes as the intro, then the orchestra came in with an instrumental of "Danny Boy" in D, and over that there was a recitation about the Rockefeller (or someone wealthy) kids drowning in the Titanic disaster. Then the choir dove in and sang something else entirely different but even bigger. ~ The End. ~
OMG it sounds like something out of an Andre Rieu concert!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

CHasR wrote: the words of "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of "Danny Boy"
Though of course there's nothing unusual about singing a hymn to various melodies- it's how traditional hymnody works.

There is no tune "Amazing Grace", it being a hymn, a hymn being words only, and utterly tuneless. It's usually sung to the tune NEW BRITAIN but just as appropriately to any tune with the same meter. (It's why hymnals have a Metrical Index in the back, so that after the hymn is chosen, you can look over various tunes which might be used.)

At the White House immediately following 9-11 a military choir sung Amazing Grace to a tune other than NEW BRITAIN (I can't remember which tune). It was beautiful.

And this, hands down, is the nicest version of Amazing Grace I've ever heard. I don't know the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFKZmcGAW0
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

pancelticpiper wrote:
CHasR wrote: the words of "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of "Danny Boy"
Though of course there's nothing unusual about singing a hymn to various melodies- it's how traditional hymnody works.

There is no tune "Amazing Grace", it being a hymn, a hymn being words only, and utterly tuneless. It's usually sung to the tune NEW BRITAIN but just as appropriately to any tune with the same meter. (It's why hymnals have a Metrical Index in the back, so that after the hymn is chosen, you can look over various tunes which might be used.)

At the White House immediately following 9-11 a military choir sung Amazing Grace to a tune other than NEW BRITAIN (I can't remember which tune). It was beautiful.

And this, hands down, is the nicest version of Amazing Grace I've ever heard. I don't know the tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmFKZmcGAW0
Please check you PMs.