Scott, London christian name?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Scott, London christian name?

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Has somebody by chance read a christian name of this old pipemaker (~ 1820)?

https://www.pic-upload.de/view-35842784 ... s.jpg.html
https://www.pic-upload.de/view-35842810 ... s.jpg.html
nwhitmer
antispam: No

Re: Scott, London christian name?

Post by nwhitmer »

You are in luck.

Langwill says Thomas Scott, active before 1806 and after 1810. In partnership with John Purkis, made flageolets, invented a model of double flageolet. A mark gives 17 Holborn Bars, London. Nailed it!

The New Langwill Index by William Waterhouse 1993 p. 368

Langwill, a "dictionary of musical wind-instrument makers and inventors," is a fine book. And yet it deliberately does not include bagpipe makers (unless they made flutes or some other "legitimate" instrument). Too bad.

Nick
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Thanks, Nick!
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

I remember that set coming up for sale about 12 years ago or so.
I was an interesting set. Only 3 keys on the bass and baritone, 4 on the tenor so the ACA notes weren't there.

But I think it was a C set though.

Any others remember it?

Tommy
Hans-Joerg

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Yes, it is C. I´m going to restore it this winter.
https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/35852383 ... d_12_s.jpg
Pierre
Tell us something.: Hi there. I noticed that this seems to be a popular forum for uilleann pipes, which is my main musical interest. I would be hoping to be able to add the odd post here and there in time and take part in some discussions where possible. If you were able to add me to your list for this purpose, then that would be great. Thank you. Marie

Post by Pierre »

Will you be restoring it yourself? What degree of damage/neglect has it suffered down through the years?

Have you had it reeded and playing at all? It's always interesting to see these old instruments. I didn't see anything about the instrument at the time Tom speaks of and indeed had never heard of it until today, hence the questions. I hope they don't catch you off balance, or embarrass you at all, as I know the original post was not yours.

The pictures you posted the link to don't enlarge well enough for me to show any detail. Would you perhaps have any more detailed and close up pictures you could post? I know some of the other board users are better and very helpful where knowledge posting pictures is concerned. (I have heard that it can be difficult to post pictures on here).

Thank you in advance.
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

Interesting... Some years ago I bought a set which looks very similar. Pitched between B and C. No maker marks. Mainstock and reedcap not original. Once owned by Thomas Standeven of Philadelphia. Story is that Matt Kiernan gave them as a box of parts to Standeven. Perhaps this is the set Tommy is thinking of.

Nick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Once owned by Thomas Standeven of Philadelphia. Story is that Matt Kiernan gave them as a box of parts to Standeven.
I have some recollection of a set of pipes left at my house for collection by T. Standeven after some work had been done on it. It may well have been this set (I only had a very brief look in the box after it was left here but remember a brownish boxwood-ish 3/4 set). At the time it was presumed Coyne. Standeven arrived at the house with Bríd Talty, with whom he was staying, and took the set away after a brief chat during which he mentioned the set coming from Matt Kiernan and that he liked to cook Chinese food when at home. That's about my whole recollection of it, or most of it anyway.
My brain hurts

Hans-Joerg

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi Pierre,
yes, I will be restoring it myself, since I got the "know how", the experience, the machinery and the "obsession". The set is "complete" except for the bag and the bellows - and the reeds, of course. A "problem" will be a pressuretight, shockproof connection of the basereg bar to the mainstock. It seems, that Scott was not a piper :P
I remember, that years ago out of curiousity I had inserted this reed into the chanter and it played fairly well.

At the moment I have too many other things to do - one is to get a new camera for close ups: Mine is older than 2 months - which nowadays means, that it fulfills the Dinosaur-Normation :D

On Pat D´Arcy´s obsessionpage
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html
you will find further info: Go to "diary", 2oo4 and scroll down about 1/3 of the site.

In those days you sometimes could find vintage uilleann things on ebay. Not today any longer - you can look through all of Big Davy´s ebay-item pages - not a single vintage thing
Last edited by Hans-Joerg on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

Mr. G - good to read your comments. Geoff Wooff worked on the set in 1988. He made mainstock & bass reg, bushed the chanter holes.

Nick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Geoff Wooff worked on the set in 1988
I don't think 1988 is correct, he was still in Oz then. 1998 or perhaps or even one or two years after that would be my estimate.
My brain hurts

nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

I don't think 1988 is correct, he was still in Oz then.
Wooff (or someone) scratched "g wooff 1988" on the bag end of the mainstock. I also have an image of a letter from Wooff, presumably (but not a certainty) talking about this set, 11 Jan 1988, from Australia.

Going back to the subject of this thread... I had a look at the pictures of the Scott set on uilleannobsession.com. There are enough differences between the sets, the look of keywork, for example, to suggest they are not by the same maker. Had me wondering, though.

Nick
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Wooff (or someone) scratched "g wooff 1988" on the bag end of the mainstock. I also have an image of a letter from Wooff, presumably (but not a certainty) talking about this set, 11 Jan 1988, from Australia.
I hadn't realised he had done work on it before. Maybe it was back for a service around 2000, or a different set was left with me for collection.
My brain hurts

bensdad

Post by bensdad »

I swear I met Geoff (and you and Ronnie) playing in C in the Central in 1988. Perhaps he was just visiting?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I swear I met Geoff (and you and Ronnie) playing in C in the Central in 1988. Perhaps he was just visiting?
Yes, visiting. I do sort of remember you coming in with Ray Caldwell, sitting down and playing the Buck from the mountain. I have a load of prints I was given of photos taken in the Central, with Ronnie, Packie Manus Byrne, Robert van Dijk, Maura Reck, Rolf Knusel and others but they are probably from different occasions.
My brain hurts