NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: NEW RELEASE - the eighteen Moloney by David Power

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Great stuff, Dave. Those pipes give off a grand sound.
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Got my cd two days ago; posted air mail, a bargain for 15 quid! Lovely piping and recording, I'm enjoying it very much.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Mypipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mypipes »

Some say the true vocation of an artist is to evoke the eternal. I recieved on St. Patrick's day the Eighteen Maloney from my friend, David Power. Yesterday was the first day I had the opportunity to place the CD on headphones on walk the boards. David is an old soul and his musical style, while unique, harbours ancestory. The tunes and tempo puts the heart and soul in the right place. The Eighteen Maloney is on loan just as the talent which has been bestowed its tenant in possession. No doubt the performer and listener, are left with a sense of majesty from the source of all. Evocative indeed! Thanks David for sharing!
P.S. I highly recommend the headphones to block this out!
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

A recent review by Siobhan Long in the Irish Times;

The sheer breadth of expression captured by Waterford piper David Power in his latest collection will be enough to stop many listeners in their tracks. The title is a reference to an Uilleann pipe chanter that Power received as a gift, made by Thomas and Andrew Moloney before the Famine. The chanter’s picaresque journey in the interim, through the playing fingers of Willie Clancy, Willie Rowsome and many others, fuels Power’s attentive and authoritative handling, which he describes as “large pulses of pressure between certain notes” and “an economical approach to playing”. Both his tune choices and playing style are stately and measured, with ample space to let each set breathe deep into the belly of the tunes. Power’s interpretation of slow airs, in particular, is a joy: Cailín Deas Crúite na mBó has that elusive lonesome touch that Martin Hayes has expressed so well on fiddle. A panoramic sweep of a collection. davidpowerup.com
leremarkable

Post by leremarkable »

The album will be featured tonight at 10pm, on 'The Rolling Wave' with Peter Browne,

www.rte.ie
KJM
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by KJM »

I've been listening to the album for the last few weeks and it has rapidly become one of my favourite piping albums. But I expected it based on David's first two albums, which are also stellar.

Gol na nBan san Ar is literally hair-raising. I get goosebumps.
Podge

Post by Podge »

For those interested the album can be listened to in full here - https://soundcloud.com/david-power-pipe ... en-moloney
ennischanter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Podge wrote:For those interested the album can be listened to in full here - https://soundcloud.com/david-power-pipe ... en-moloney

Indeed a great listen, those are some warm drones
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.