WTB They'll Be Good Yet

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
JR

Re: WTB They'll Be Good Yet

Post by JR »

It's easier than you think.

Anyone can sell music online in about an hours work.

The easiest way is have a website do the distribution for you. Something like http://www.tunecore.com/ is relatively simple and quick.

You pay a yearly fee, depending on how many tracks/albums you have, and upload them to the website in a lossless format. You then choose where you would like your album to be available, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon mp3, etc, and the distributor takes care of the rest.

A free alternative is Band Camp. A great website where you can set our own costs, upload to them and the money gets paypalled to you when you make a sale. You can even use it for selling physical copies or merch. They have great stats and metrics for keeping an eye on your sales & progress.

I've been happy enough reading the track notes for JOBM's new album just off the CD Baby page, I'm sure many others will be happy with just a website of the notes.

If you are technically minded enough to use the C&F forums you would be of the ability to sell music in online stores.
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

No-one's arguing about the technical ease. But having been stood on the other side there are other issues too.

Apart from anything else, Peter has at the least a contractual relationship with Kitty's estate, and possibly a record label, distributors, or others. These things are rarely as simple as ripping a CD and uploading it to Bandcamp.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Calum wrote:No-one's arguing about the technical ease. But having been stood on the other side there are other issues too.

Apart from anything else, Peter has at the least a contractual relationship with Kitty's estate, and possibly a record label, distributors, or others. These things are rarely as simple as ripping a CD and uploading it to Bandcamp.
Agreed. Having no explicit permission to engage in electronic distribution, I'd estimate I'd have to re-do, communicate back & forth, etc., for approximately 90 contracts for EACH volume of Wooden Flute Obsession. Plus, then there are issues of any additional copy non-gratis Mechanical Licenses, and probably a new schedule on sharing compensation with the musicians, composers and labels. While physical CD international shipping has soared to new heights, I also don't see that reality changing easily, except perhaps for new projects, with electronic distribution already taken into account.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
glands

Post by glands »

Pretentious title for a CD wouldn't you say?
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

No Lewis, I would say it's a funny and self-deprecating title, quite lovely.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Kevin - there's absolutely no comparison between your CDs and Peter's. Isn't that obvious? Are there 90 artists on each of those records? Or "only" 80? Whereas Peter can just inform Kitty's next of kin about moving to downloading, and figure out how it works. Their CD and Kitty's solo disc were on the Clachán label, which seems to have been created just to release her records, so forget about having to hash things out with a label. Offering these up for download would be a quick way to make a bit of money, and keep the record in circulation. Of course the audio isn't always the best, and those liner notes go missing.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Their CD and Kitty's solo disc were on the Clachán label, which seems to have been created just to release her records,
Not quite correct on at least two counts.
My brain hurts

geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Lewis,
the title is a quote of a comment by Jackie Daly which was both humourous and complimentary in a very Irish way.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

In any case, I have to thank you, Peter, for this album. I must have gotten one of the last 'legit' albums. Even if you feel you have moved on from this in your piping, this album is a great tribute to a great lady and musician, and further, a great tribute to a grand musical friendship.
It's always a joy to listen to this album.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Peter,
Does Michael Queally still run an online music sales website?

Tommy
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Their CD and Kitty's solo disc were on the Clachán label, which seems to have been created just to release her records,
Not quite correct on at least two counts.
Oh, I simply searched for 'Clachán label' or 'Clachán records' and didn't find much of anything beyond those two productions, so figured it was thrown together for the express purpose of giving Kitty a platform. Was it a record label per se, then?

These records for download sure seem a quick way to make the odd buck, and we all like the odd buck, eh? None of that dreary packaging and going down to post offices, etc, either.
Calum

Post by Calum »

You know, I can understand this kind of chatter when you're talking about an artist on a mountain somewhere who no-one has ever met or spoken to. But when the guy is actually posting in the thread and saying "no, not keen", because reasons - and folk are still telling him he's wrong...I don't get it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Clachan was started and owned by Eoin and John @ Custy's. They recorded Joe Ryan and Gerdy Commane first, Kitty Hayes and maybe a few others.

They'll be good yet was entirely our own.

Crossposting with Calum and as he mentions it: I am here but there's a lot of talking like I am not. I have already said I have at some point, five years ago, considered the options and made a decision about this. While I appreciate the concern and attempts to help, I like to point out any speculation from that point on is not helpful or desirable. This is in my hands and my hands alone and I am telling you, again, this ship has sailed.
My brain hurts

glands

Post by glands »

geoff wooff wrote:Lewis,
the title is a quote of a comment by Jackie Daly which was both humourous and complimentary in a very Irish way.

Thanks for clarifying the title. Easy to understand it given that it was a quote in that setting.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

FWIW, it has been brought to my attention a few copies were put on amazon UK. I just checked again and there's one left. Nothing to do with me, I let the last one go years ago.
My brain hurts