Deidre's Lamentation

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Anyone know the whereabouts of, or have the ABC of Bunting's version of The Lamentation of Deirdre? Has anyone recorded this on pipes?
tok

Post by tok »

Do you mean , Deridre of the sorrows ? :smile: .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tok on 2003-02-06 19:35 ]</font>
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

Ah, perhaps that's it, tok... I'm looking for ABC of this... and The Lament for the Wild Geese... Ronan Browne plays this one on his new CD (The Wynd you know)... I have looked everywhere for an ABC to these two. I'm going to learn the Wild Geese for my first song.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: elbogo on 2003-02-06 22:19 ]</font>
tok

Post by tok »

Ok , cool , . Tom . I think it may be diffrernt but similar . I heard a slow air that ronan played , and he made the chanter give an effect like someone weeping ,,, I dont know the name of the air ,, but my impression is that there may be more than one of those . There Is an Irish saying that comes to mind , music for weeping , music for dancing ,, and a third , ect , ,,
sure ,, and be gore ,, . It sounds better , and more expressive on a d chanter though ,, .Just my opinion ,, of course a matter of personal taste :smile: . lol
tok . :smile: .,,:) . lol ,,

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tok on 2003-02-06 23:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tok on 2003-02-06 23:27 ]</font>
WallyS

Deirdre's Lament

Post by WallyS »

"Deirdre's Lament for the Sons of Uisneach" is based on Ferguson's poem about the legendary Ulster queen, Deirdre and is a poetic re-telling of the tragic tale from the Ulster Red Branch cycle. It has been recorded by Tomas O'Canainn on "With Pipe and Song". Tomas is the former all-Ireland Uilleann Pipe Champion and founer member of the traditional music group Na Fili. I don't have the ABC, but can share the mp3 of the tune.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Elbogo... I have found a version called The Lamentation of Deirdre for the sons of Usnach.Set in Mayo.From George Petries Collection(1789-1866)
Part Two PAGE 259
No. 1019..set in G major.
Bunting nicked a lot of Petries work and old George wasnae best pleased about it!!
Slan go foill :boggle:
Liam