Liam O'Flynn and pipes article

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Liam O'Flynn and pipes article

Post by rorybbellows »

Here's an interesting article I had not seen before .Good links to other stuff as well.
http://www.taramusic.com/features/lofpipes.htm

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
bensdad

Re: Liam O'Flynn and pipes article

Post by bensdad »

Interesting, thanks for that
Can't say I agree that Staker Wallace is "unutterably sad."
An Feochán, now, that's unutterably sad.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Yes, and 'Valentia harbour' played in Gm against a D drone.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Ceann Cromtha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Yes, and 'Valentia harbour' played in Gm against a D drone.
Is that the version that Sean Potts plays (followed by Splendid Isolation) on his (I suppose) debut album?
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

If I remember correctly, Sean doesnt have the drones going when he plays the air, he turns them on for the reel.
I can't remember what key he plays Valentia Harbour (Amhrán Na Leabhar) in but I do remember in the liner notes Robbie H praising his mastery of and full use of the keyed chanter in playing it.

....nobody said this would be easy......

Lars Larry Mór Mott

Ceann Cromtha wrote:
Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:Yes, and 'Valentia harbour' played in Gm against a D drone.
Is that the version that Sean Potts plays (followed by Splendid Isolation) on his (I suppose) debut album?
I don't know. I have only heard Liam play it once, and that was from an old cassette tape about piping/Seamus Ennis or both :) We're talking early 90's here so please forgive my hazy memory. The tune made a lasting impression though!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It was an interview for the 'Séamus Ennis story' which Peter Browne produced for RTE during the eighties. Flynn spoke about how well Ennis fitted his music to the pipes, demonstrating how the 'usual' Em version of Valentia Harbour doesn't work over the drones and how Ennis played it in Gm to make the most of it sounding over the drones.
My brain hurts

Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

boyd wrote:If I remember correctly, Sean doesnt have the drones going when he plays the air, he turns them on for the reel.
I can't remember what key he plays Valentia Harbour (Amhrán Na Leabhar) in but I do remember in the liner notes Robbie H praising his mastery of and full use of the keyed chanter in playing it.
You are correct (there are some areas of very nice regulator chords here and there, though). When I first heard it, I it made me think of a Bulgarian/Macedonian gaida, e.g.,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LParyW4v78

And it does sound sad, as mentioned above. Sad enough to match the story line. It's a great setting, I think.

So, Mr. Gumby, is the Sean Potts version in Gm?
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Mr.Gumby wrote:It was an interview for the 'Séamus Ennis story' which Peter Browne produced for RTE during the eighties. Flynn spoke about how well Ennis fitted his music to the pipes, demonstrating how the 'usual' Em version of Valentia Harbour doesn't work over the drones and how Ennis played it in Gm to make the most of it sounding over the drones.
Thanks for that! I couldn't stop thinking about it, now i know. Might still have that cassette somewhere. Sadly with nothing to play it back in nowadays..
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have the 'Séamus Ennis story' handy although I haven't digitised it (so I can't put the relevant fragment up for you here). You may be better off going straight to Ennis' recording of the tune.

Two weeks ago visitors called and put me on the spot when they told me they had heard me play that tune. That must have been a decade ago at least. Image
My brain hurts

tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I first heard that tune in 2002 from Geoff Wooff in whatever key that works out on the Harri. Never heard ANYTHING like that before :boggle: :boggle:

Had to nick that one, thanks Mr. W!
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I learned it in Gm direct from Seamus Ennis. It's also nice in Dm: another good key for the drones.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

a good article. I think it's an older one, too; I can't quite remember when I read it, but I think it was around the time I was first learning. It's always nice to go back to articles like that and get a fresh perspective.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

The topic of how much instrument to start with has come up on the forum quite a lot . Its interesting to hear was Leo Rowsome thought about it . The thing is Liam had time on his side ,starting at 11 years makes things a bit different to somebody who starts later in life.

"Liam O'Flynn was 11 before his dream came true and he was given a set of uilleann pipes. This was a practice set - the bellows, bag and chanter without the distraction of drones and regulators. 'I was playing the practice set for at least five years,' O'Flynn remembers. 'My first teacher, Leo Rowsome, insisted on that and I'm very glad, because with the drones and regulators it's too easy to cover mistakes and problems."

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

http://www.uilleann-pipes.de/english/index.html

scroll down to the sound sample for the 3/4 set in D

You hear the air then transition to the reel

....nobody said this would be easy......